Chapter Two, The Court Case

The rest of the week seemed to pass by really fast but also really slowly in equal measure and before they knew it Friday had dawned. For most of Forks Friday would mean the start of the weekend, but for those on the Rez and the Cullen's it meant the day of the court case of Margot Alia Lahote vs Devon Riggs. After a semi restful night Margot sighed as she climbed out of bed, turning off her alarm and gathering her things for a shower. However, on her way she stopped in her son's room, smiling at how peaceful he looked while he slept. Kissing two fingers Margot pressed them gently to Jayden's forehead, tucked him in and headed for a nice hot shower.

Stepping out of the shower she quickly dried herself off, did her morning routine and got dressed in white matching underwear, a black high neck top, a grey pinstripe pant suit and black court heels. Next she worked on her hair; drying it off with her hair dryer after putting some protection and anti-frizz products in it, she pulled her hair up into a high ponytail and braided the tail into a fishtail braid. Finally, she put on some silver and grey eyeshadow, black eyeliner and mascara and burgundy lipstick as she was too nervous to eat. Heading back to her room she packed her bag when Jayden started calling for her over the baby monitor.
"Hi baby." Margot cooed, entering his bedroom and seeing him pull himself up by the bars with a large smile on his face.
"Mama." Jayden cried happily, bouncing up and down making Margot laugh.
"Shall we get you dressed? I think so." Margot says, picking Jayden up and sitting him on her hip as she rubbed her nose against his making him laugh.

"Mama loves you so much my precious boy and I promise you that you'll stay with Mama no matter what." Margot said, blinking back tears. After pressing a kiss to his forehead she let out a little laugh when Jayden puckered his lips and gave her a wet kiss.
"Oh, thank you baby." Margot said happily, setting him on the changing table to change his nappy and get him dressed into black jeans, white long sleeved, thick T-shirt, white shocks, a blue bomber jacket, a cream beanie and brown trainers. She wouldn't normally put him in his coat and hat now but she was dropping him off at Sue's before heading to work and he just looked so cute that she just had to snap a picture and save it as her home and Lock Screen.
"Wow! Is that my twin?" Paul asked, leaning on the door frame in his jeans and T-shirt.

"Oh shut up." Margot said without any heat. "Uncle Paul, is a meanie to Mummy, isn't he baby? Yes he is." She cooed, making Jayden laugh and clap his hands.
"I'm only teasing." Paul said, wrapping his arm around her shoulders. "You look gorgeous and very smart but we have to go. I've packed everything for him. It's in the impala and Sue said she'll feed him at her house."
"Thanks Paulie." Margot said, kissing his cheek and leaving a dark lipstick stain making her giggle as he wiped it off.

***

The bell had just rung in Margot's last lesson of the day as she was leaving for the court case.
"Miss Lahote. Rosalie and I just wanted to wish you luck and we know you'll win." Jasper told his mate who looked stunning in the pant suit.
"Thank you Jasper, Rosalie. Have a good weekend and I'll see you on Monday." She said, waving bye to Eva who was talking to another student she rushed out of the school and hopped into the Impala. As soon as she was in, Paul spun the car around and took off towards the court house. Neither spoke as they were a little nervous but Paul did reach over and squeezed his sister's hand only to frown at the intense heat coming from her. He really hoped she wasn't taken ill during this.

In no time Paul was pulling into a free parking space in the car park. Quickly switching off the engine and taking off their seatbelts they rushed inside and met their father who wore a black robe over his suit. They really didn't need to rush as they had plenty of time but they were nervous.
"Everything is going to be okay, I promise." Jamie swore, hugging his twins. "Thanks to Claire Cullen, Judge Ramirez assures me all of them will be put away for good and it'll also sign away his rights to Jay." Jamie assured, causing Margot to let out a breath of relief just as Claire walked up to them. "Ah, Claire, thank you for doing this." Jamie said, spotting the woman.
"It's no trouble really. Anything to clear our town of scum bags like that. Should we head in?" Claire asked.

Jamie paused to look at his watch and nodded his head. He kissed Margot's forehead and squeezed Paul's shoulder and headed to his section.
"Everything is going to be fine. I promise." Claire assured, as the three headed for the witness box. They didn't have to wait long before they were called to stand for the Judge. Once the Judge was seated, everyone sat down except for Jamie.
"Members of the jury, I put to you the case of Margot Lahote against Devon Riggs. As we all know he was sent to prison for accounts of abuse and rape when he attacked Margot when she was out with friends, a complete stranger to him. He was sent to prison and since then his family have been trying to bribe him out of prison while also trying to take Margot's son from her. Before you is the evidence we have gathered.

Also new evidence has come to light that he has done this to other women in different towns, in different cities. When the victims get him arrested the family step in and bribe him from prison and then get the child taken from their mother. Only then to put the child up for a closed adoption not even a week after they win the case via bribery, now to me this shows only they wanted to spite the mother because they had their name tarnished by Devon Riggs going to prison." Jamie explained, as he handed out all of the evidence.
"Objection!" Mr Mallory shouted.
"On what grounds are you objecting to Mr Mallory? When you yourself have received such a bribe and your own children have been targeting Miss Lahote while in school despite the fact that she is their assistant teacher?" Judge Ramirez asked. The Judge sighed and shook his head when Mr Mallory had nothing to say.

The court case was pretty much a cut and dry case as there was no way any of the Riggs family was getting away with anything, so the entire court case only lasted two hours.
"Speaker of the jury, what do you find?" Judge Ramirez asked.
"We find Devon Riggs guilty of not only trying to steal Jayden Lahote under false pretences and for his own ego but we also find him guilty of the previous charges put against him. We ask the Judge to help his previous victims be reunited with their children. We also find his parents Danielle and Daniel Riggs guilty on several severe bribery charges and sending the children away to orphanages. We ask that the Judge use the remainder of their money and give it to the people they've hurt including Margot Lahote." The speaker said before retaking his seat.

"Thank you." Judge Ramirez said, nodding to the jury. "Devon Riggs, I find you guilty on several accounts of rape and stealing children from their parents. You will have no rights to any of these children including Jayden Lahote, and hereby be sentenced to life imprisonment." Judge Ramirez said, banging his gavel. "Danielle and Daniel Riggs, I also found you both guilty of swindling your son out of prison on numerous accounts, and removing children from their rightful parents, and hereby sentence you both to twenty-five years in imprisonment each. Your remaining money will be given to the women you and your son have hurt, and you will never have access to those children, and your assets frozen." Judge Ramirez said, banging his gavel once again as the three were taken away putting an end to Margot's nightmare.