Chapter 8: What is Normal?

Chapter 8

What is Normal?

>>Carter

“Oh… um.” Mrs. Jazz hesitates not looking in my direction. “Reality hasn’t answered me in a while… but I’m sure he or she will answer by tomorrow!”

“Oh okay. Let’s go Carter. We are so late for Geography!” She sprints, pulling me out of the classroom, before I could even look towards Mrs. Jazz for explanation at what I just heard..

……………………..

I was worried after Genevieve said she needed Reality’s answers from Mrs. Jazz. What the heck does she mean by that? She obviously didn’t know it was me… or at least I hope not. Right now we were both in an empty classroom, since we both had free period, sitting beside each other as she talked about how boring cheerleading is. I really didn’t pay attention much, since I wasn’t interested, but simply kept nodding my head and giving the occasional “Mhm” making her think I was listening.

“What do you think about Reality?” Genevieve asks making me choke on absolutely nothing but air.

‘Real smooth Summers.’

“Hey you okay Carter?” Genevieve asks patting my back as I cleared my throat.

“Um…yeah.” I assured trying to keep my cool, which probably already flew out the door already.

“There, there.” She ruffles my hair making me stiffen at the action before politely moving her hand.

“I’m not three, and don’t mess up my hair.” I say pulling back a few brown strands out of my face.

“But your so cute!” she coos pinching my cheek, but quickly pulls back when I try to bite at her hand. “Well someone’s cranky.”

“I’m always cranky.”

“Well you have to change that. Frowning so much will give you wrinkles at a young age.”

“Then I guess I’ll get the wheelchair ready. I don’t like to smile.”

“Oh come on Carter! Smile!”

“No.” I say blankly.

“Smile.”

“No.”

“Smile.”

“I can do this all day you know.” I challenged crossing my arms.

“So can I. I have a ten year old sister, and we keep at it ‘til one of us pass out.” She retorts, making me chuckle in defeat. “Yes! Got you. You’re smiling.”

I replied by sticking my tongue out like a kid, making her grin at the action.

“That’s the most I’ve seen you smile with me around.” She confesses.

“I don’t really have a reason to smile all day you know.” I said. “If I go around smiling all the time, people will think I’m a psychopath.”

“True.” She giggles. “But you can smile around me. I’m your friend now.”

“What happened to all your other friends?” I ask. I want to know why she’s been hanging around me so much. She’s been completely ignoring her other friends and come to find me first like we’ve been buddies for a long time.

“You’ve been more of a friend to me in a matter of minutes in the library than they have been in to me in years.” She answers, making me raise my brow in question as she continues. “You, in your own way that is, comforted me when I was a wreck when all they did was add salt to the wounds. I’m here Carter, because you were my friend in listening to me, and talk to me without judging… I’ve had a long time of hiding in those short ass skirts and tops so I could ‘fit in’” she quotes with her fingers in a sarcastic manner.