Chapter 16: Assembly with Summers

Chapter 16

Assembly with Summers

**Mrs. Maybelle on the side***

>>Carter

Assembly bores me.

Maybe it's the fact that I'm here for about an hour listening to my hag of a principal talk, talk, talk , and guess what? Talk. Or it could be that all I'm doing is swaying back and forth with a dull-if not dying- expression on my face just wanting her to get it over with already.

At Newton High, we have assemblies in the bleachers by the football field a least twice a month in the mornings to hear the updates on pretty much the boring stuff on what was going on at school. The entire population sits impatiently, as they all engage in conversation with their friends . Teachers were placed at random places to make sure nothing inappropriate happens while the principal is talking, and of course Mr. Hale was appointed just one row from me to intimidate any bold person stupid enough to try anything with me out here. I was at the highest right hand corner of the stands with Genevieve to my left tapping her feet to the beat of the music they were playing through the speakers to entertain us, the annoying song was some sorry excuse for rap talking about snakes, butts, and of course sex.

What the hell is something like this playing in a high school for I don't know.

"When is this supposed to start?" Genevieve grumbled stomping her feet on the bleachers impatiently making the guy sitting next to her look at her like she's lost a few marbles.

I let out a small chuckle at her childish irritation, but that small smile immediately wiped off my face when my eyes caught the site before me. A group of cheerleaders located just in the middle a few rows down from us started to glare in Eve's direction like she was the most repulsive being alive for opening her mouth.

I glared right back in response making the new leader that replaced Genevieve cut her eyes in the most dramatic way possible before going back to whatever gossip was going on between them.

'Mind your own business.' I mentally snapped.

"Calm down." I turned to Eve. "Your making people watch."

"They can screw themselves for all I care; not my problem if they have no life." She huffs out. "It was Lia and the girls weren't it?"

"Yeah."

"Nothing new. That's all the looks I've been getting since I left." She sighs, before giving me a reassuring look. "No worries, I just want principal May to get this over wit-... why is it quiet?"

I didn't noticed it until she said it, but when I listened carefully there was no more music, and as I looked around, everyone's eyes were glued to one place... or more accurately, following one person that was making her way towards the middle of the field.

Her pitch black ebony hair bounced across her cream skinned shoulders as she elegantly made her way towards the center of the field that contained speakers and microphone ready for her to make her long ass speech. She was dressed in formal royal blue attire that made her seem more like a lawyer in a suit than a thirty year old Principal. You could hear a pin drop from the dead silence that filled the field. No one dared to speak, nor breathe the wrong way as one of three emotions took its place among most of the students.

Respect.

Fear.

And unrequired Anger.

Others like me stared blankly at her intimidation, but overall....

This is what Principal Maybelle, held on the students of Newton high.