Chapter 24: Someone Better

Chapter 24

Someone Better

>>>Carter

I ruined it. Whatever 'it' was that was going on between us, I ruined it.

I don't understand why I'm so nervous. I mean, why should I care? Sure I liked him, but it's nothing more than an average crush. I let myself get too comfortable around him, and look at what was happening now. I'm feeling guilty, and for what? Absolutely nothing. So why the hell is this annoying organ beating inside my chest as Nolan stares me down with that intelligent green gaze of his.

This was getting too much. Why do I feel like I owe him an explanation? I don't. Why this he glaring with such an intensity as if waiting for an annotation of what when down? And why did he look at Patrick like he was could just cut off his head if he even dared to talk before looking right back at me? I don't get it.

His gaze drifted to my lips. I gulped, unable to talk as if there was suddenly a lump in my throat, because I knew they were probably kiss-swollen right now.

Then he sighs in exhaustion, dropping his head towards the floor before placing a hand to forehead as if he suddenly had a headache. He took a deep breath, his face taking a thoughtful look as if the wheels were turning in his head before a small smirk placed on his lips.

"You just love making things difficult for me don't you Summer?" he says softly, turning to me once more not glaring, but smiling childishly.

"Making what difficult?" I ask out of nowhere not really understanding what that was supposed to mean.

"Get outside for a second." He says, but didn't even give me a second before he gently grabs me by the shoulders and pulls me outside in the empty halls before I could even blink.

"Car-"

"You." Nolan states, his voice taking on a darker, yet hostile tone as he turns in the bathroom when he cuts off Patrick. "Don't even try talking to him while I'm around, and to put this as nice I possibly can. Stay the fuck away, cause he's taken. His dense head just doesn't know it yet."

Excuse me?

"What?" I hear Patrick say in shock, his voice echoing in the bathroom by how loud he snapped. "You don't get to tell me what to-"

"No," Nolan cuts him off, casually leaning against the door like he was having a simple conversation. "But since I really don't want to get in trouble for putting blood in the bathroom, I'll just leave while I still have a piece of mind. Then I might, straining the word might, not slip a word or two to my darling principal about her past student taking advantage, yet again, of a current student. How does that sound?"

Patrick when silent at that.

"That's what I thought." Nolan grinned, taking a hold of the doorknob before slamming it shut. He turned to me, no longer smiling, but looking at me questionably as I raise a brow at the look.

"What did I do?" I ask in confusion as he sighs.

"Come with me." He commands, talking my right hand in his as he uses the other to take out a phone in his pocket. My face heats at the contact he made as he tightens his grip around my wrist, jaunting through the halls until we make it outside of the school. "Gen I found him." He says in his phone, making me pale at the realization on who he was talking to. "Yeah he's with me. Okay... alright I guess.... Really Gen?"

I facepalm myself hard across the forehead with the hand that wasn't locked in Nolan's grasp.

"Can I talk to her?" I ask him, feeling so guilty for forgetting about her that I wanted to punch myself for being such a bad friend. Nolan gives a small nod. "He wants to talk to you." He hands over the very expensive looking galaxy phone in my palms as we continue to stride into the parking lot.