01 | THE CALL

December 2012

December 2012

Tony Stark and Pepper Potts' Mansion, Malibu

"Dum-E what the hell? Oh, hey Auntie," Tony said to Rosemary casually holding a piece of his suit in his hand standing beside a robot with a broom and a cone hat labelled Dunce. "I was just getting ready for... you know... lunch. Why are you here, we're supposed to meet at the restaurant at—"

"Two hours ago," Rose told him entering his messy workshop.

"What? No, it's—"

"A quarter past three, sir."

"What?!" Tony let go of the suit as Rose looked at him his raised brows. "JARVIS you were supposed to tell me when to leave," he complained.

"I did tell you, sir. I also notified Miss Thompson that you'd be late for ten minutes," Rose nodded. "And then I told you again, but you said you'd work for a little longer and—"

"Okay, I get it. I'm sorry, Auntie."

"It's a good thing my plane leaves at night and not after lunch."

"Right, let me make it up to you. Dinner? Did you eat or not? I can—"

"It's okay, Tony, I already ate, brought you these," she gave him a bag with cheeseburgers and a soda, perhaps it should've been something healthier but Christmas Day was approaching and her spirits her high. She loved Christmas. "I'm sure you haven't eaten a thing."

"Yeah, sorry, I was just—"

"Working. Again," her smart tone shifted to worry. "Tony you've been at it for months. You need to rest."

"I'm fine, Auntie." Rose sighed remembering her conversation with Pepper, both women were worried about him. After New York he hadn't been coping well, much like his father when something was bothering him, he submerged himself in his work pretending he was fine and brushing his worries off.

"Right. That's why you spend your whole day building suits," she picked up a bronze piece of armour. "When was the last time you slept?"

"Uh... the time I slept last," he deadpanned. When his aunt looked at him unamused he added:  "Yesterday."

"JARVIS?"

"36 hours ago, Miss Thompson."

Rose looked at Tony half smug, half concerned. The man furrowed his brows. "JARVIS you aren't supposed to be telling my private stuff."

"You told him to listen to me," Rose remarked. "Remember?"

"That's not fair," he dismissed.

"Tony. You need to stop. Building suits won't change what happened and the world isn't going to go up in flames because you take a one-day break."