11 | LOST WEAPON

January 2014

January 2014

Camp Leigh, New Jersey

Rose wanted to cry from relief when she saw the car intact. Steve wasted no time in putting Nat in the backseat as Rose went to the driver's one.

"Rose I can—"

"I'll do it," she said impassively already getting inside.

She turned on the car but kept the light out. As soon as Steve got in, she took off.

"Where are we supposed to go now? Everyone's looking for us," she mentioned. The people she thought she could go to for help, she didn't want to get involved.

"I have an idea," Steve told her looking back making sure they weren't followed.

"Okay..."

"Sam."

Rose looked at him shocked. "The man you met two days ago?"

"I think he's a good man. He'll help."

Rose sighed thinking about the man. "Yeah. Yeah, you're right, he will," she said, feeling the tug on her stomach as she accelerated.

Steve glanced at Rose wanting to ask more, but the look on her face was enough for him to stay silent. His own thoughts being too much for him as well.

Now it wasn't the time.

HOURS LATER
Washington DC, USA

They left the car about two miles away from where Sam's house was and managed to get there without being seen, it was early in the morning so not many were outside. From their hiding spot, they saw Sam return to his place after his morning run and they walked to his backyard after he got in.

Steve knocked and not long after the window was opened. Sam looked at them in surprise. They looked dishevelled and were covered in dirt, he recognised the redhead woman when she picked Steve up days ago after their run. She looked shaken instead of smug, Steve was worried, solemn instead of calm, whereas Rose...well, he couldn't pinpoint an exact emotion, she didn't look cold, she looked blank, numb, he didn't know if that was on purpose or not but it was a big contrast to the confident and collected aura she usually gave off.