14 | TILL THE END OF THE LINE

Or The Targets, A Mission and Peace

January 2014The Triskelion, Washington DC

January 2014
The Triskelion, Washington DC

Rose, Steve, Sam and Maria went to the main office of Project Insight that Agent Hill would supervise later, there was also communication to the whole base so Steve and Rose could talk to one of the microphones and everyone would hear them. Natasha was going undercover with a face mask to a Council meeting with Pierce for the launch of Project Insight (extremely believable by the way), the plan was for her to spread SHIELD's and Hydra's files over the internet, so they couldn't hide anymore.

They reached the control room that was locked. Hill disrupted the agent's earpiece from outside and as they expected one of them was going out of the room to check what the problem was. The man came to view with the missing sub-director and three of the most hunted fugitives. The two avengers standing in the middle as the other two pointed guns at him.

"Excuse us," Steve said authoritatively stepping inside the room, the other three following. The agent raised his hands and just gaped at them.

As soon as Steve took a hold of the microphone and Hill made sure he could be heard by everyone he started speaking.

"Attention, all SHIELD agents. This is Steve Rogers. You've heard a lot about me over the last few days, some of you were even ordered to hunt me and Agent Thompson down, but I think it's time you know the truth," Steve nodded at her and passed over the microphone.

"This is Agent Thompson... When SHIELD was founded in order to protect the people that couldn't protect themselves, the other founders of SHIELD and I envisioned it to be an organisation we could trust to make the correct decisions, ones that weren't made out of fear or corruption. I'm sorry to say that that did not happen," she said close to the microphone. "We made mistakes. SHIELD is not what we thought it was, or what it was meant to be, it's been taken over by Hydra. Alexander Pierce is their leader. The STRIKE and Insight crew are Hydra as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you," she stepped aside so Steve could continue, not wanting to add anything else.

"They almost have what they want: absolute control. They shot Nick Fury and it won't end there. If you launch those Helicarriers today, Hydra will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way, unless we stop them... We know we're asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, always has been, and it's a price Rose, Agent Thompson, and I are willing to pay. And if we're the only ones, then so be it," Steve paused. "But I'm willing to bet I'm not."

When he stopped talking Sam came closer curiously, somewhat excited. "Did you write that down first, or was it off the top of your head?" Steve just looked at him proudly.

Rose shrugged responding, "Captains are supposed to be inspiring, right?" 

"Hmm.. what about you, huh?" Rose sent him a smug expression not answering, she didn't want to disclose. "Also, did you guys practice beforehand who was going to say what and at what moment or are you just perfectly in sync?"