08 | TRUST YOUR GUT

January 2014Washington DC, USA

January 2014
Washington DC, USA

"You're not coming?" Steve asked her when she made no move to get out of the car.

Rose shook her head. "No, I think you need the private time with her," she said looking at the residential home where Peggy lived. "You go," she motioned with her head.

He nodded. "Thank you."

She shrugged with a faint grin. "Go."

It must've been about half an hour which Rose spent reading a book she had in her car when Steve came back looking a bit shaken.

"What happened?" she asked after he closed the door.

"She uh," he paused his voice trembling. He took a breath, "she had a moment, forgot I was back for a minute," he told her.

Rose sighed. After a moment of silence, she grabbed his hand. "I think we should focus on the fact she hasn't gotten worse..." at least she remembers us. "I'm sorry."

"It's fine like you said, she could be worse...She was happy, that's what matters...Has that happened to you?" he asked after a pause.

She let go of his hand. "No, I mean she forgets a lot of what we've been through but whenever that happens it's usually what happened after I—went missing. So, she forgets, but it's like we are back in the 50s or something. I think it also has to do with the fact I look practically the same as back then."

For Rose's benefit, she was the only living person that knew Peggy the longest, she had been for almost all of the important events in her life. Even if Steve had met her first, Rose had the chance of knowing her for 33 years before she went MIA and though Peggy's kids had known her for over fifty years, Rose knew the Carter woman before they were even born, they worked together and were each other's confidants. Rose knew Peggy the best, only Lawrence could've known her as much. Thus, though it was hard to see Peggy forget basic things like how to take a shower or the name of a pencil, as far as memories went, no matter how much of those Peggy lost, she still remembered Rose, she remembered who she was and that they were best friends.

"She sends her love by the way," Steve mentioned making her smile lightly.

"You okay?" she asked him.

He took a deep breath. "Mhm. I can't focus on it right now, but I'm okay Rose really."

She looked at him warily but accepted his answer. "Do I drive you home or..."

"You know... Sam, this man I met yesterday, said he worked at the VA, maybe we can stop by? Only if you don't have anything to do."

"No, it's okay. If I'm not with you, Beth or on a mission I'm procrastinating at home so, let's go."

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

When they arrived at the Department of Veteran Affairs, Steve asked about his friend and they informed them he was in a counselling session, so that's where they headed.