10 | UNVEILING

January 2014New Jersey, USA

January 2014
New Jersey, USA

They had turned a car on and used it as their transport to get to Wheaton so they could find out what was in the flash drive. Steve offered to drive and Natasha ended up as shotgun, whereas Rose had the backseat for herself.

Most of the drive had been silent, considering Steve and Rose felt embarrassed to initiate a conversation with each other, so Rose did an extremely childish thing and pretended to be asleep.

Only the pretending became an actual thing, the lack of sleep from last night, the stress and body exertion catching up to her making her fall asleep.

Though it wasn't a pleasant one.

Thankfully her body's only reaction to it was a twisted facial expression and stiffness.

They had been driving for hours now and had just passed the sign of "Welcome to New Jersey". Natasha considered that Steve's awkwardness had reduced considerably since the mall, so she deemed it safe to start a conversation.

"Where did Captain America learn how to steal a car?" she asked slumping on the seat whilst her feet were on the dash.

"Nazi Germany," Steve responded.

"Mm."

"And we're borrowing," he corrected. "Take your feet off the dash," the Romanoff raised her brows in amusement but did as told.

"Alright, I have a question for you, oh, which you do not have to answer," she assured but then tilted her head in consideration. "I feel like if you don't answer it though, you're kind of answering it, you know?" she reasoned.

"What?" Steve said annoyed, sensing the subject of the question that was coming.

"Was that your first kiss since 1945?" she asked with a curious smile, interested. Steve looked back at Rose hastily. "Relax, she's been asleep for about thirty minutes."

"It looked that bad, huh?" Steve mentioned.

"I didn't say that. Don't think that's why she acted that way either."

"Well, it kind of sounds like that's what you're saying."

"No, I didn't," she denied. "I just wondered how much practise you've had," she clarified.

"You think I need practice?"

"Everybody needs practice," she shrugged.

"It was not my first kiss since 1945," he said defensively. "I'm ninety-five, I'm not dead."

"Nobody special, though?" she said making him scoff.

"Believe it or not, it's kind of hard to find someone with shared life experience."

Natasha smiled tight-lipped somewhat cheekily. "Yet, you have," she said looking back at Rose.

Steve's cool attitude shifted radically as shook his head repeatedly. "She's—no, Rose...we're not—"