Chapter 14 - questions and confusion

Louis' POV
We walk back to the car in silence. For some reason Harry still looks pissed off so I kept my distance from him. I'm starting to think that he really did not like that dating comment so I figured I shouldn't push him too far.

It does hurt though. He was only telling the truth but it still hurts. I think it's more so the way he reacted. I mean he was so quick to say we weren't dating and then he got all mad about it, like us dating could never be a possibility. In comparison, I really like him and so I was fine with letting the comment slide even if the lady was mistaken. I don't think it's a big deal to have one random lady thinking we're a couple, especially when the whole store probably thought we were with how close and flirty we were being. So I feel like if Harry liked me or was a little bit interested he would be fine with letting the comment slide too.

I kind of felt like something was happening between us but that was pretty naive of me I guess. First of all, I don't even know Harry's sexuality, I might just be reading in to all the little things he's doing, and even if I did know he still might not like me. I haven't been friends with Harry long enough to know if this is just how he acts around people he's close with. I suppose the last reason would be, you never know for sure how someone feels unless they actually tell you or show you.

I guess I really shouldn't care this much because it's not like anything can happen between us anyways. Maybe Harry's thinking the same thing, but I kind of doubt that since he cares even less about the rivalry than I do. I know I really shouldn't have let my crush on him get this big but Harry's pretty irresistible.

Harry and I loaded all the groceries up in the car and then got in. I was driving again and so I started the car and reversed out of our spot. Just as I was about to leave the lot Harry spoke up.

"You can just take me home," he muttered.

I glance over to him to see he's not even looking at me. He's looking out the window very intently like he can feel my eyes on him. I want to protest and to ask him why but I really don't want to make him uncomfortable, which he already seems to be.

"Okay," I answer quietly.

The silence between us almost feels eerie and so I lean forward and turn up the radio, not even bothering to plug in my own music. From the sound of it the song has just started playing. The drums kick in and I recognize it to be "Wouldn't It Be Nice," by The Beach Boys. I smile to myself and hum along a little bit.

Then suddenly the song is gone. I look over seeing that Harry's hand is on the volume dial and he's just turned it all the way down. He removes his hand and then crosses his arms over his chest. With a huff he's looking back out the window.

Okay, what the fuck was that about? Someone doesn't like that song I guess.

That eerie silence starts to creep back in but luckily we're close to Harry's house by now. I glance over at Harry expecting to see his back facing me but instead I see that he's already looking at me. Once he notices I've caught him staring he quickly turns away and back to the window.

Why is he being like this?

I just sigh and pull into his driveway. Harry hurriedly gets out and grabs his football stuff which he had left in the back. He doesn't even spare me so much as a glance before he's walking to his door.

Okay screw this. I slam my hands on the steering wheel and then get out to follow him. He was too busy fumbling with his keys to notice I was walking up behind him.

"Harry!" I call out.

It must have startled him because he drops his keys on the ground. He quickly picks them up and starts to look for the proper key again, ignoring me in the process. I reach where he is and gently pull at his arm just enough to get him to spin around and face me.