Chapter 13

CHAPTER 13

Castle Dungeon...

"Is it time Mistress?" the male sprite asked.

"Not quite. Soon."

A loud crash sounded from above ground and echoed throughout the room.

"The Vampires are attacking the castle. The casualties are running high."

The witch sighed, "The curse must be fully broken before the balance can be restored. He has to give up that which he loves."

------------------

The Dark Forest...

Conri found his mate and the male carrying in supplies that were just delivered. He could hear the Wererabbit's heart speed up and the inciting scent of fear called to his primitive side to give chase and hunt. But right now he was more interested in his bunny than he was in a good blood sport.

"Come with me," he growled at his mate. Before leaving the kitchen.

"Stay here, Rabbit." Dana said calmly.

"No. I don't trust him. He could hurt you."

"I am his mate. The fact that he's caught us numerous times making love in the last two weeks without killing you, makes it very unlikely that he'll harm me." Dana said reasonably. "He probably simply wants to reject me."

"But he's your soulmate." Dustin started to protest.

"It's alright Rabbit." she said, kissing his lips. "I have you and I am more than happy with that."

------------------

Following her mate's scent, she found him in a bedroom she had yet to enter. His bedroom obviously she thought, taking in the opulent displays of wealth. He sat on a large bed next to a small feminine form. A delicate hand engulfed by his much larger ones trembled as he placed light kisses on the back. The tremors were the girl's only active response. She lay unmoving and unaware. Staring blankly at whatever phantom held her attention.

"What happened?" Dana asked.

The flat monotone voice contradicted the wealth of emotion in his eyes. Conri described everything in detail.

Dana shook her head in disbelief that her mate would be so cruel. She had heard stories of the werewolf prince but had never met him. Mostly due to her parent's altruistic free spirited endeavors that usually landed them in hot water with the stringent nature of the royal hierarchy. The cold careless monster that she had heard of was not present, only a remorseful sinner seeking redemption.

"She's in shock. She needs time."

A nod was the only response Dana received. His gaze stayed solely on the helpless figure that looked so tiny next to him. Part of her reasoned that she should be mad or jealous of her mate loving another but truthfully she understood. Deep down she was just as wild and uncontrolled as him. They would have been so bad for each other. Before she met Dustin, she felt herself slipping into something cold-blooded and inhuman. During her travels she had killed without remorse or guilt and that actually worried the sane part of her mind. Her promise to her parents to aid the helpless was the only thing that kept her bestial tendencies at bay.

Conri's sadistic personality would have brought out the worst of her own callous traits. According to rumors the "Cursed Beast of Wolf Lands" wasn't capable of love. Yet here he sat focused on an insignificant creature in the Were World with only love and pain on his face. Despite his mistake, she recognized the look in his eyes for it was the same she held when she gazed upon her rabbit. Peace. Even though they could conquer the world, peace was the one thing that their dominating souls did not possess on their own.

-------------------

After two days, Conri finally relented and allowed Dustin to enter the bedroom to see his best friend. He was so worried that his Bunny wasn't eating or drinking that he was willing to try anything. The werewolf growled in warning as Dustin approached before burying his nose into Nina's neck and breathing in her scent to calm himself. After a moment he stood and with one last glare at Dustin he left the room to go for a run around the perimeter of the fencing.

Dustin was shocked to see his friend in such a pitiful state. "Nina?" Dustin whispered. "Nina, it's Dustin." he said, taking her cold hand in his. Dana had had a long talk with him and though he was angry on behalf of his friend, he understood.

Dustin continued to speak to her for almost two hours telling her about what had happened in the last few weeks and then reminiscing about their more innocent days. For the first time in days, Nina spoke, "Dustin?" the question was spoken so quietly he wondered if he had imagined it.

"Nina? Did you say something sweetheart?"

Tears spilled down her cheeks as she sobbed and cried, throwing herself in her best friend's arms. "I want to go home Dustin! I want to go home!"

"Shh... Shh. It's alright. We'll get you home. I promise."

"She's going nowhere!" Conri roared, snatching the frightened female into his arms. Nina whimpered and struggled to get away. "Shh. I'm sorry Bunny. I'm sorry I scared you. Please don't be afraid of me." he demanded roughly, as he gently stroked her back and placed kisses on her head.

Tears flowed silently. Nina was afraid and her emotions were running as rapidly as her heartbeat. She needed to get away. Everything was too much. She longed for the safety of her bedroom. There was a time when she was a kitten that a huge storm came through. The drain tunnel had collapsed and all the adults and older children had to repair all the damage. She had been so scared and afraid that family wouldn't make it back. Her father kissed her forehead and told her that her room had an angel that the Creator himself had placed there and that they watched over her. The thought was comforting and Dustin stayed with her after they left. Whenever something upset her or made her angry she would go into her room and talk to her angel. She needed that comfort now.

"Please let me go." she whispered.

Conri had been called a heartless monster so often that he actually started to believe that he had no heart. The pain in his chest told him otherwise. In such a short time, this little woodland creature had managed to twist him all up and screw him around. Her warmth drove away the constant chill and he would do anything to keep her fire.

Looking into her beautiful sky blue eyes, he couldn't extinguish the hope in her eyes. Conri would do anything to make her happy even if that happiness destroyed his own. He placed a gentle kiss on her lips. Her body swayed unconsciously into his. Their eyes met and something clicked. The kiss turned passionate but like a tide pulling away from the shore. Their time was up.

Swallowing hard, he nodded and looked at Dana. "Make sure she gets home safely," Conri said quietly. Standing, he left the room. Nina's eyes filled with tears. His sadness was so tangible she could taste it. Her heart begged her not to leave and give him a chance but her head was screaming to run before he changed his mind.

"It's Nina right?" the woman's husky voice broke through her daze.

She hadn't noticed that Dustin was once again holding her or that the woman was in the room. "Y-yes." she replied timidly.

"I'm Dana. Go take a shower and put some clothes on. We'll leave as soon as you are ready."

Nina nodded and stood. Gathering one of Conri's shirts and a pair of sweats, she went into the bathroom to shower.

"He must truly love her." Dana said with awe.

"What do you mean?" Dustin asked, perplexed over what was happening.

"To dominate and control is part of our nature. More so than most wolves since he's a royal and I am his mate. In this we were paired perfectly to lead however our nature's are too much alike to find happiness with just each other and that's why a submissive is so important. You allow me to be in control and to care for you. It soothes my wolf and my mind. You are so very important to me and I would do anything for you. He and I need a calming presence. You are mine and Nina was his. He let her go and I feel that he's trying to be a better person for her even though she's leaving. He needs her."

"Then why doesn't he force Nina to stay?"

Dana smiles sadly, "Because he loves her."