Chapter 14

CHAPTER 14

"You hurt a hair on my Rabbit's head and I'll rip out her throat." Dana told her mate. "I marked him so I'll feel if something happens. As will you if you hurt him."

Conri was suddenly in front of Dana, his large hand grabbing her by the neck. "You marked him?" Conri growled, the possessive side of his wolf pushed through.

Dana grabbed his wrist and shoulder and twisted them behind his back. Holding him with enough tension so that the slightest movement would snap his arm from the socket.

"Don't think I didn't see my mate's mark on another woman's body." she hissed.

Dropping down to one knee, he twisted his body around breaking her hold. Grappling and struggling neither is willing to submit. They claw, bite, and break their way through skin and bones. Their blood splattering around the green and gold parlor.

--------------------

"I don't understand." Nina said after Dustin told her that he would not be going back to Rabbit Lands.

"Nina I've always loved you and still do. I love you but I'm not in love with you. A marriage between us would never work." Dustin confessed.

"Of course it will!" Nina denied as tears filled her eyes. Dustin leaned forward and placed his lips on hers while tamping down the feeling that it was wrong.

"When I kiss you. Do you feel desire for me as a lover?"

The kiss was so insignificant to the passion she shared with Conri. Tears fell as she realized that everything she had always believed to be set for her life was gone. She wouldn't be marrying her best friend, they wouldn't live in the house made for them, they wouldn't have children together. Once she leaves, they may not ever see each other again. And Conri...

Nina held back the sobs. He was cruel and frightening. He had hurt her. But abandoning him felt as though she were leaving a huge piece of herself behind. It made no sense to her of why she should feel this way. Going home would help straighten her mind out and she would be able to think.

Leaving the bedroom she went downstairs. She felt Dustin following her. A loud crash drew their attention to the front of the house. Standing in front of a set of closed french doors neither wanted to open them. Dustin raised his hand and knocked. The noise stopped abruptly.

"Come in." they heard Dana call.

Opening the door their eyes widen taking in the havoc and destruction. Nothing within the room remained intact. Broken glass, splintered wood, chunks of plaster, and shredded fabric littered the floor. The two werewolves stood with casual poses in the midst of chaos. The bruises on Dana's face were already fading while the claw marks on Conri's cheek and body were healing quickly.

"Ready to leave?" Dana asked Nina.

Nina nodded. Hugging Dustin one last time while avoiding Conri's intense gaze, Nina turned from the wreckage and walked away.

Dana gently grasped Dustin's chin and placed a firm kiss on his lips. "Behave Rabbit." she commanded with a firm look.

"Yes, Mistress." he replied humbly.

-------------------

Nina was quiet all the way home. Fortunately the two were able to get past the barrier by going under the fence. The barrier was enchanted specifically to keep Conri. He was not able to go over or under the fence no matter how deep Dustin tunneled.

The two women headed to Rabbit Lands in peace.

"This is where I leave you." Dana said when they reached the border. Nina nodded when she noticed where they were.

"Get home quickly and do not leave after sunset." Dana warned.

Nina nodded again but didn't move. Instead she stared blankly at the bright lush meadow that she and Dustin had run gaily in just a few short weeks before. The carefree days seemed like a lifetime ago. It was hard to fathom.

"What should I do?" she whispered.

"Only you can answer that." Dana said, taking a seat on a fallen log. "The curse has been broken. The Beast learned to love and gave up that love for the sake of love."

"How can he love me? He hurt me."

"I didn't say he was good at it." Dana replied drooly.

Nina smiled briefly. Looking across the meadow once more she felt a pang in heart at the thought of moving forward. "I want to go home."

"But?"

"I don't know where it is anymore."

"Either Rabbits have a short term memory or you're speaking metaphorically. I hope it's the latter because I'm impatient to get back and teach my Rabbit some new tricks. But if he needs a refresher that's fine too."

Nina grimaced at the thought of her best friend being talked about in a sexual manner. "I meant metaphorically."

"Home is wherever and with whomever you want to be. For me, home is with my Rabbit."

Nina swallowed. "Isn't Conri your mate?"

Dana shrugged. "Our souls may be halves of a whole but our hearts are our own. I've given mine to my Rabbit. It is my duty as Conri's mate to rule beside him and give him an heir. So clearly there is much to discuss when I return."

Nina's heart beat rapidly as jealousy set in. She didn't like the idea of Conri being mated to another. But as a prince he would need to marry a she wolf and their child would be the next king. She did like Dana and could tell that she would make a strong queen. But she wouldn't love him like she did. The thought made Nina freeze.

She loved him.

Suddenly she started walking back into the forest.

"Where are you going?" Dana called.

"Home."

THE END.

==========================

I had a lot more ideas for this book but they would have taken forever. So this seemed like a good place to stop. Not sure I want to do a Book 2 for this especially since I have to finish my Ivory White Series.

Sorry for the poor editing and grammar errors but I was just impatient to finish. I always try to correct things later whenever mistakes are pointed out. 

So love it?

Hate it?

Meh?