Chapter 54: Doctor, Doctor

Law was the best medicine cat you'd ever met. His large hands were sure, his knowledge nearly unfathomable, he outstripped Chopper by a chasm so vast you doubted that any could leap it. He was, perhaps, the greatest medic ever born. But even so, he had to work hard just to keep Luffy alive, to seal the massive tear in your mate's chest. And all you could do was watch, claws sunk into the floor, as Law's face ran with the sweat of concentration, his eyes narrowed, jaw clenched, working against the dip and sway of the ocean that held you all.

Finally, finally, the blood slowed to a trickle and the bandages Law wrapped firmly around Luffy's body reddened only slowly. "That's it. That's all I can do on this ship. He'll just have to make it until we hit dry land."

"Dry land...?" You tottered weakly to Luffy's side, lacking even the strength to raise your ears.

"Yes. I know a place. It's a gamble, but..." He didn't continue, just pulled a mask off his face and gloves off his tattooed hands. You almost wanted to ask what he had been about to say, but you found yourself lost in the agonised twist on Luffy's face, how even in the depths of unconsciousness he looked to be in absolute agony.

You wondered if this was it. If he would die without ever knowing you'd come back to him, without ever meeting his kits, so close to the world now...

And with that thought, you felt it. The drop. It was time. Now. They were coming now.

"Law." Your voice was strained with panic. There were no pains, your legs were still dry, and yet, you knew. "Law?"

"What? What now?" He turned back to you quickly, looking down at Luffy with what appeared to be panic. "Can you smell something?"

"No, it's not- Luffy's the same, it's-"

You couldn't find the words to say it, but you didn't have to. Law looked at you for a long moment, and those eyes, like hardened amber, darkened. "Dammit." He cursed just loud enough for you to hear. "Now? Really?"

"I can't control it." You wanted to sound indignant, but even that urge quickly fell beneath the blanket of numb greyness that covered your soul like the thickest fog. Had you really been happy just a few days ago...? It didn't feel... real... Had you really been lazing in the sun, your icy dad's big paw on your head, telling him stories of your life? Had Ace been happy too?

The pain snapped you out of it, the first faintest ache that you knew would quickly become nearly unbearable. You'd trained with your Clan, once upon a time. A full moon of being a medicine cat and in that time, a queen- Riversong, her name had been- gave birth. Your mentor had said you were lucky, to have the experience so early in your training. But now, faced with your own due date, you could only think in horror of the way Riversong had torn at her mossy nest in furious pain, the way the stick shoved between her jaws had cracked under the pressure of her holding back caterwauls.

You managed to look up, into Law's eyes, and the sheer force of emotion there once again nearly knocked you over. "Why...?"

He blinked and it was gone, covered as always. "Why what?"

"Why are you helping me? Him? You're not even supposed to be a pirate anymore, Law. How do I know that you're really on my side? What if you're just looking to take us all in?"

Law's eyes flicked to Luffy and he sighed. "Come on. Best if we let him rest."

He turned to leave, narrow shoulders just slightly slumped forward, and you walked shakily after. Outside the surgery room, Law stood in silence for a moment, hands shoved into pockets. But after a heartbeat, he pulled something free, a crumpled piece of yellow-brown paper. And you recognised it, of course, you'd seen a hundred or more of them, those wanted posters. But never one like this. Never one with your face.