Chapter 38: Rush

Making his decision, Sanji dropped the note for Nami and turned on his heel, running toward the departing Sea Train as fast as his legs would carry him. Making it just in time, he jumped onto the back of the train, turning to watch as Water Seven shrunk with distance.

~~~
The weight of Luffy on your back was making you get tired quicker. Puffing, you staggered into a side alley and paused, head down. "You okay?" Luffy slid down and went around to lift your head. "You can stay here, if you want."

You shook your head. You wouldn't leave him. Luffy kissed you on the chops and pulled himself back onto you. "Alright then."

~~~
Paulie looked out at the tide, hands on his hips. He hardly wanted to believe the truth. That it was really Lucci, Kaku, Blueno, and Kalifa that had tried to kill Iceberg. People he'd spent time with for years had tried to kill their beloved Mayor.

The tide suddenly receded, so far and so fast that fish were left gasping on dry land. Paulie stiffened. 'There's no way... This far...' He turned and started to run for higher ground. 'Aqua Laguna is here.'

~~~

You ran, tail bushed out, panic lending strength to your limbs. "What's wrong, (Y/N)?" Luffy gently smoothed down your bristling fur. You didn't bother to respond, he wouldn't know what you meant anyway. But you could feel it. The water. It was coming and it was coming fast.

With a grunt of exertion, you launched yourself at a nearby building and hauled yourself up it, sinking your claws into the soft wood. You pulled yourself onto to the roof, turning in time to see the giant wave rear up over the horizon.

With a yowl of fear, you took off, jumping from roof to roof.

"Hey! Over here!" Paulie. You turned and ran toward his voice, hyperventilating with panic.

With a huge leap, you launched yourself off of the roof to a huge set of stairs, Paulie waiting at the top. "You made it." You twitched your ears at him, wearily climbing the flight.

You saw the panic on Paulie's face a moment before you sensed it. You weren't far enough. Twisting around, you grabbed Luffy's shirt in your jaws, throwing him off your back to land in a heap at Paulie's feet.

Caterwauling with terror, you flailed as the water jerked you off your paws and dragged you under.

~~~
Zolo barely got out of the smokestack in time. Wringing out his shirt, he grumbled to himself. 'Why is it always me?'

Chopper stepped up beside him, shaking the water from his fur. "Hey, Zolo."

"Hmm?"

"What's going on over there?"

Chopper pointed with his muzzle and Zolo turned to see a crowd of Galley-La men trying to hold Luffy down while his captain desperately tried to throw himself into the ocean.

"I think Luffy's finally snapped."

~~~
It was dark under the water, and the currents that tugged your fur were freezing cold. 'I'm sorry kits. I'm such a terrible mother...' Dimly, you realized that something had wrapped around your chest. But you didn't worry about it as darkness flooded your mind.

Paulie braced himself and pulled as hard as he could, his ropes pulled tight. His men gathered behind him, helping to pull what he could only hope was that cat that Straw Hat seemed so attached to.

Fur broke the waves, and Paulie gave a huff of relief as the body of a giant cat was hauled up onto the cobblestones. Luffy finally threw off the men holding him down and staggered toward you, screaming for Chopper.

The reindeer galloped forward, stopping at your side.

Paulie watched as Chopper ordered Luffy to knead your chest while he tipped your head to the side so you wouldn't choke on the water all over again.

'Smart reindeer.'

Your whole body spasmed as you coughed up your lungs, rolling onto your stomach and vomiting up seawater. Wheezing, you laid on the ground, shaking. Luffy pressed himself against you, trying to warm you through your sodden fur.

Slowly, you turned human, ignoring the gasps and yelps of surprise from the surrounding Galley-La crew. Luffy pulled you close, opening his shirt and buttoning you inside.

Pressed against his bare chest, your shivers slowly died down, while Chopper kept trying to get Luffy to let you go so he could make sure you were okay.

"That thing was a girl?" Luffy turned his head to glare at Paulie.

"I would appreciate it if you didn't refer to my wife as a thing."

Paulie stuttered some nonsense and Nami stepped forward, putting an end to Paulie's embarrassment. "Luffy, there's something I have to tell you."

"Hmm? Wuzzat?"

"It's about Robin..."

---

"What?" Luffy released you, much to Chopper's relief, and stood up to stare Nami straight in the eyes. "Robin didn't leave us? She still loves us?"

You gave a quiet purr, tail curled up in happiness.

Nami shifted. "Usopp is on the train too, as well as Sanji and Franky."

"That crappy cook is on the train too, huh?" Zolo stood to the side, one hand resting on his swords. You purred again. He's worried about his bae. So cute.

"Well, we have to go get them!" Luffy turned to Paulie. "Oi. Give us a ship. We have to go to Enies Lobby before they put Robin in Impel Down."

Paulie shook his head. "We can't. During these tides, no ship could leave and hope to survive."

"Give us a ship!"

"I can't! Only a Sea Train could get through the Aqua Laguna, and the Puffing Tom is the only one in existence!"

"Then we'll steal a ship!"

Luffy looked like he was about to jump on Paulie, when another voice spoke up. "Hey kid. I could lend you a Sea Train."

Your ears pricked as Kokoro, an ugly woman from a station a little bit away from Water Seven, offered a way to save your friend.