Chapter 29: A Bitta Backstory

"So? How do you know that Marine?"

You closed your eyes for a moment to think before you answered Zolo's question. The Straw Hat crew were currently sitting in a circle on the deck of the Merry Go, waiting for your answer while the ship sailed toward your next destination.

"Well," you finally said. "He saved me. A long time ago. And the few times I've run into him since, he's always looked out for me..."

"How did he save you?"

You looked toward Usopp and said, "He got me off the slave trader's ship."

"WHAT?!" Shocked voices rang out from many in the group.

You smiled. They really didn't get why you'd be sold as a slave, did they? "Look at me." You spoke evenly, keeping emotion out of your voice. "Ears like a cat and a tail. I'm not human. Not fully. Your kind hates what it doesn't understand. So, my kind is commonly used as... Toys. Playthings for the rich. I was seven moons old when my Clan was overwhelmed, and I was ripped from my family..."

Luffy moved close to you, pulling you into his lap and grabbing hold of your hands. "You don't have to say it..." He murmured.

"No... It's okay, I'm fine." You shook your head to clear the memories and started again. "We were halfway to our destination when the ship was attacked by a Marine with power over ice. I was the youngest one there, barely more than a kit, and my parents were gone. I was alone, terrified, but he pulled me out of that place and said, 'Don't cry. You're safe now.' Kuzan took me to an island with a place called Foosha Village. And... There was..."

"Mount Corvo?"

"Yes, thank you Luffy. Mount Corvo. Anyway, Kuzan left me on that island, and while I was wandering, I met Luffy..."

~storytime~

You padded up the mountain, your paws aching from the walk. You were barely more than a kit, you'd never walked this far! But Kuzan had said you'd be safe here, so you knew you'd be alright.

You heard a rustle in the bushes and leapt back behind a tree, shaking. Then a little boy emerged, covered in dirt, with a mess of pitch black hair, and a scar under his left eye. He looked around and you froze when his dark eyes landed on the tree you hid behind.

"I can see your tail."

Fur hot with embarrassment, you flicked your tail out of view.

"Why are you hiding?"

You peeked out, ears laid flat against your head.

"I won't bite."

You crept out, head and tail low. As you carefully approached him you slowly changed into human form, your ears swiveling on your head, desperately listening for signs of danger. You sniffed curiously when he reached out his hand. He smelled like food and dirt.

Purring quietly, tail bushed out to twice its size, you let him run a hand through your hair.

He laughed. "Ya know, you're kinda funny looking. Hey, you wanna be my friend?"

You didn't know what a friend was, and he looked surprised when you said as much. "Well," he responded. "I guess I'll have to teach you! Come on!"

He turned and ran off, you following after.

~storytime over~

"Then, about... Three moons later, he was my mate. We've rarely been apart ever since."

Luffy nodded and buried his face in your hair. You reached back to rub his head and looked around at your crew. Usopp looked horrified that you'd almost been sold, Zolo looked like he was furious and trying to hide it, Sanji was sad that you weren't single, Robin looked happy that you and Luffy were so close, and Chopper was struggling with being sad because it started so bad and being happy because it turned out so well.

Nami wasn't around, because Nami is a jerk.

You purred quietly when Luffy kissed the back of your neck and gently put his hands over your stomach. "Yes, I lost my family, and yes I was almost sold as a sex slave. But in all that, I found Luffy. I've been with him for ten years, and I'd never change a day of it."

"I wouldn't either." Luffy held you closer, resting his chin on the top of your head. "I love you."

"I love you too, Luffy."

Robin smiled, happy. You two were almost as cute as Zolo and Sanji could be, if they would stop denying their feelings.

One day...

 it would be real

... it would be real.