47 - The Secret Letter

Yeonjun took a deep breath

      'I heard you and Mrs Yoon talk .'

I looked at my father again, who completely stiffened.

      'What is he talking about?' mother asked in an unsettled voice.

       'Isn't that the reason why you talked so severely to y/n?' Yeonjun asked.

      'Yeonjun' father growled out. It really did sounded like a growl, it actually scared me.

It was a clear indication Yeonjun should stop talking about this, but he didn't.

     'What is the point in hiding this father? will you let Mrs Yoon threaten you every time something happens she doesn't like and foremost do you really think Jungkook will forget about y/n and marry Hana, which was her plan all along?'

Both mother's and my mouth dropped. It was a plot I actually had in no way considered. and foremost because it meant that Mrs Yoon knew something or had some card to play that we had no idea about. 

With what did Mrs Yoon threaten him that even a king would give into her?

     'Dad?' I asked dazed.

     'Chan Sik?' My mom asked in a similar dazed manner.

He sighed deeply and for a moment I saw tears forming in his eyes.

     'I guess the time has really come to tell you all the truth.'

He then looked straight at me 'Jungkook, your birth mother.. she didn't die of a heart attack.. The reason your mother is dead is because she.. she killed herself.'

I froze, an uneasy feeling came over me, like this ice-cold chill creeping up my spine. She killed herself? I couldn't say anything for a while. 

It also came completely out of nowhere, why was this related to anything that was happening right now?

Mother also seemed to be unaware of this fact.

Father continued

      'We kept it from everyone, only the people present at that time in the palace knew about it and the doctor, but it seems all those years ago she had sent a letter to Mrs Yoon, prior to her suicide. They were good friends at the time. I wasn't aware of such a letter. Plus Mrs Yoon never indicated she received such a letter until she showed it to me at the ball.'

      'What's in the letter?' My mother asked with a trembling voice. I could imagine she felt betrayed as well, Mrs Yoon had always been super nice to her as if they were best friends.

      'The letter indicated that she couldn't take it any longer, being married to someone who was clearly in love with someone else. That she wasn't sure how to live on.'

There was an uncomfortable silence filling up the room

     'just like that? She killed herself?' I uttered out. I didn't remember my mother as I was only one years old but from the pictures and videos I could find about her she always seemed so happy.

My father shook his head

      'No, she had been struggling with her mental health since she was a young girl. But considering you were so little I didn't see it coming at all. and Jungkook you need to believe me that we never did anything that crossed the line before we actually started dating' while explaining the "we" he signed mother who was sitting next to me.

and yes, I called her my mother because she was, just not my birth mother.

My mother gasped silently, and she put her hand in front of her mouth as a shock reflex.

     'I am sorry I never told you but I was afraid you might blame yourself.'

I looked to my right and saw tears streaming down my mothers face. I took her hand.

      'and for you..' father now addressed me 'you were so little. and I wanted you to remember her as a woman that loved you so very much. because she really did.'

I couldn't blame him for that, and not even that, if this came out it would be a big scandal for the monarchy. There wouldn't' need to be proof, the media would think of something. This was a huge sensational story, whether it was the truth didn't matter.    

      'so now Mrs Yoon is threatening to expose this letter, unless you got rid of y/n?' I asked, that much I had pieced together by now.

Father nodded 'she would even go as far to suggest that we already had an affair even before the queen died. There doesn't need to be hard evidence for it. You know how easily people are persuaded, especially nowadays with all that fake news going around. It will potentially destroy our family and perhaps the monarchy, considering anti-monarchy groups will use this to move the public opinion against us.'

Father was indeed thinking the same as me.

     'I know I did wrong by telling y/n to go, but I didn't know what to do. I am really sorry my son.'

I wanted to say something but Mother suddenly got up, her eyes dazed almost far away.

     'I- I am going to bed'

It wasn't near bed time as we normally would be enjoying our dinner now but I knew my mother. She was the kindest person in the world and learning this new information was a lot for her to take.

My father wanted to follow her but stopped and looked at me. I did appreciate it because it showed me he was serious about his apology and also that he wanted to amend the relationship.

     'Go talk to mom, I don't agree with what you did to y/n, and I'm still angry but at least now I understand it a lot more.' I let out and father gave me a nod and followed my mother.

    'you knew?' I now addressed Yeonjun. 

He looked down at his plate, guilt written all over his face. 

      'I am sorry brother, I just didn't know what do to. It was either father or y/n and I understand his worry. I know you love her, I do, but I will always choose this family first.'

I sighed because I even couldn't be angry at him for that. I imagined his ex fiancé in the same position (before I knew she was a psycho) and I also wouldn't choose her, I'd choose my family.

The situation simply wasn't black or white. It was way more complex than that. I also stood up as I had lost my appetite completely. I retreated to my room and laid on my bed. While staring at the bedroom ceiling I kept thinking about what we could do. I still hadn't found y/n but at least now I knew what happened. 

The question was also what could we do about mrs Yoon and the letter? The only advantage we had so far was that the media hadn't gotten any wind of the situation yet. They probably assumed y/n was hiding in the palace for a few days. I thought about calling Hana, she was my ex yes, but she had also been a childhood friend and something told me she also wasn't aware of all of this. Perhaps she could help with retrieving the letter? 

Eventually I decided to sleep and think about it more tomorrow. I was exhausted from everything that happened today, all this new information I had to process.  

The following morning I was woken up by my parents who stormed into my room. 

'Jungkook we have a problem.' father exclaimed and mother already reached for the TV remote on my table. She turned on the tv and I was facing images of me and y/n. Soon there was a picture of her alone, it was dark so it was probably in the middle of the night.  Bono was walking next to her. 

"Sources confirm that we have a runaway princess'"