52 - Save the Monarchy

I stopped walking.

    'What?' I uttered out. 

I also understood now why Jungkook seemed nervous. This wasn't a small request from his father. It was a life changing one.

    'He says that it could possibly save the monarchy.'

     'B-but what about what he said about this news blowing over?' I answered.

Jungkook shook his head 'He is realizing that that isn't going to happen, the amount of followers of the anti-monarchy movement is increasing by the day. I mean, he did, himself admit what he did, it's not speculation anymore. He thinks that if he sincerely apologizes and steps down as king that maybe people will still support our monarchy.'

I was silent, so many thoughts going through my mind. and honestly also a feeling of guilt. Because if I hadn't come into Jungkook's life then mrs Yoon would have never threatened the king with that letter and consequently he wouldn't have to step down and Jungkook wouldn't have to become king at such an early age. Everything has been a domino effect from the moment the king had asked Mr Moon for a female bodyguard to protect his son which ended in the last domino being his end as the king.

     'Do you want to?' I asked him.

     'I don't know.. but if that is what it takes for the monarchy to survive, then that is my duty. but as you have said before, we are a team so it is important to me what you want' he explained, and it was one of those moments I truly appreciated my relationship with him.

Him becoming king would probably mean he couldn't go to college with me anymore, maybe he would finish the curriculum at home next to his duties as a king. But it would be challenging.

For me though, I knew I had made my decision when I went to his birthday ball months ago. I wanted to show him I chose him completely, and I still stand by that decision. This situation wasn't going to change that.

Jungkook waited nervously for my answer. I could see by his body language and the look on his face that he was anxious. Which made sense because if I had my doubt about the whole situation we'd need to have a very difficult conversation. I eventually took his hand in mine and looked up into his eyes.

      'I will stand by you whatever choice you make.'

Relief instantly appeared on his face. He pulled me closer for an embrace.

      'I love you' he said in a whisper

      'I love you too' I answered

We returned to the palace for dinner with the whole family. It was clear that the king was expecting some sort of answer from Jungkook.

      'I will accept your request' Jungkook said

A mixture of guilt and relief filled the king's face. Guilt as he hadn't wanted this for his son at this age. He would want Jungkook to finish university as a prince and enjoy life a bit more freely than he could as a king. but also relief because at this point it seemed the only way to save the monarchy. Which after hundreds of years was so important. Many monarchies all over the world couldn't stand the changes of the time, but this monarchy had always survived. It would have been the biggest shame if it ended with his ruling.

    'Thank you son'

     'Are you also okay with that Yeonjun?' Jungkook asked his brother. It again showed me that Jungkook would actually be a great king, he wasn't hungry for the power that he would get as a king. 

He was still conscious about the impact it would have on the people around him. Yeonjun in this case because if something were to happen to Jungkook it would be Yeonjun that would become king.

Yeonjun nodded 'I think we share that same sense of duty brother.'

Jungkook smiled at him 'thank you'

It was the queen that had tears in her eyes.

      'Don't be sad mother' Jungkook pleaded

      'I am sorry, I just wished it could have been a few years later, but I am so proud of you two.'

I could imagine it was hard for her as a mother, and that was the thing with the royal family I learnt. You have always those multiple roles:

You are a father but also the king

You are a mother but also the queen

You are a young adult, a son, a student, but also the crown prince.

And in many cases that second role, the royal role, was leading.

We finished dinner quietly. I think everyone had to process what this change meant.

Two days later I found myself in the press room of the palace, it was filled with reporters. The royal family which now included me, were standing near the wall, facing all the people in front of us. The king was standing on the little stage in front of us, which also had a mic placed on it. Seokjin was there as well. He wasn't his professional self, or at least he did a great job at pretending but I saw that he was a little emotional. He of course already knew what the king was going to say and for him it was a devastating moment to see the king he had served and loved for many years renounce his throne.

The king cleared his throat. He had the most severe look on his face.

     'Thank you all for coming today. I have an important announcement to make.' he stated and all the reporters looked at him with attention.

       'I first want to sincerely apologize for my actions. I am aware that I have hurt your trust by concealing information relating to my late wife. I hope you understand I did this with my wife's and son's privacy in mind. Nonetheless I understand why people have outed their discontent.'

He took a deep breath

'And therefore, after extensive and anxious consideration I stand here today before you to renounce the throne to which I succeeded on the death of my father. This is my irrevocable and final decision.'

There was a loud gasp going through the room of reporters. Visibly, almost all mouths dropped.

'I will not act as if the reason for this decision is not clear to everyone. one thing has been made clear to me; you have lost the trust in me as your king. I do not wish to go into detail about the private matters surrounding my family and what has passed. This is not a decision I take lightly, but the knowledge that my son Jeon Jungkook will succeed as your monarch has brought me immense comfort.'

All the eyes in the room turned to Jungkook. Jungkook slowly moved towards the stage, joining his father.

He cleared his throat, just like the king had done.

     'I am humbled and honored by the duty that awaits me as the king. I hope you will have faith in me. The support of the people.. my people is most important. Our spokesperson will now explain the details surrounding my inauguration.' Jungkook calmly stated. The press was at the edge of their seats, probably dying to ask questions. But this press conference wasn't really for questions, it was for the announcement.

Jungkook took a step back and the spokesperson of the royal family took his place in front of the microphone.

As Jungkook already indicated, the spokesperson started to explain all the details surrounding the inauguration.

And so it was officially announced:

Jungkook shall become the new king