Chapter 1

Absentmindedly strolling through the fiction aisle of the small library, Skyler sought for a book he hadn't read before, but to no avail there were none.

His large amber eyes leisurely scrolled through the racks of books as his index finger ran across the wooden shelves, feeling it's smooth texture. He was bored, having read all the interesting books in his local library he opted on checking other ones. This one he'd never been to, yet his trip was quickly coming up unsuccessful as the small library didn't seem to have anything new. 

Wiping the dust his index finger had collected from the seldomly cleaned shelves on his mint shirt, he reached into his pants pockets to retrieve his phone.

Eyes on the device, fingers moving to call his boyfriend, Skyler trekked towards the exit. From wherever he'd lost his focus, he heard the bells of the library's door chime, indicating a new person's entry. The unpleasant ting sound wasn't the one to catch his attention, no, the magnificent scent that filled the cramped place after it, was.

The combination of vanilla and mint danced around his nostrils lightly tickling his olfactory bulb. Amber eyes widened in realization and no. No no no no-no-no. Panic ripples through him as he casts his still, very wide eyes down, searching the ground beneath him. This was not supposed to happen, not when it was only him present.

The person who'd entered the small library was his mate. No, one of his mates, his fourth to be exact. He knew, he was sure because at that moment nothing else seemed to matter, the only thing he could focus on was the delicious scent that was teasing his wolf.

His wolf, Soren, who had previously been silent in his mind, started yipping in excitement. He was restless as he growled at Skyler to get his dumb feet moving. Twirling and dancing around, all he wanted to do was embrace his mate in a tight hug and nestle his nose into their neck to inhale the odd mix of mint and vanilla from exactly where it emitted from. But Skyler was too stressed to move, he wasn't good with social interactions and he didn't want to mess it up with his mate by being awkward. First impressions were important. Oh Goddess how he wished Bennett was here to help.

He was not able to ponder any longer as he felt a skinny frame collide with him, looking down his eyes connected with a maroon beanie. He didn't notice the woolen fabric scratching at his chin as he was too busy trying not to combust at the fact that his mate was pressed against him.

His mate, he'd found out was a boy let out a barely audible 'sorry' as he stepped away from Skyler. The excitement in the amber eyed boy dimmed as he dejectedly realized his mate was unable to recognize their bond, as he showed no sign of recolizion. And upon further examination he also failed to smell a wolf in him, his mate was human. A disappointed sigh from Soren was the end of his inner turmoil, his mate's species was not of immediate concern.

Skyler was unable to see his mate's face as the small boy refused to look up. Not thinking twice he cleared his throat "Um n-no it's fine.", cringing at the way his voice cracked, Skyler awaited an answer.

His mate didn't seem like he wanted this conversation to go on, so giving him a slight nod of acknowledgment he made a move to walk around Skyler, to another isle. Skyler, of course, couldn't have his mate leave so he grabbed onto his arm, halting his movements. At the boy looking up startled, Skyler quickly dropped his arm, wide eyed with a horrified expression he couldn't conceal in time, he stared at his mate.

His mate's face was, to say the least, a terrifying sight to look at. Although big, black sunglasses and a maroon beanie covered half of his face, the other half was bare for all to see. Big jarred scars ran along his face, two large ones ran from the corners of his mouth towards the hollows of his cheeks, a long scar ran from where his left eye was towards his lips, splitting the pretty pinks. Along with those which were raised and pink, many short, white lines marred his face, deforming his assets.