Chapter 2

The pitter-patter of Skyler's anxious pacing filled the otherwise silent room. Felix was seated on his large Chester couch. The room was dark, only the small lamp on the oak desk offering illumination.

Sighing, Felix stood up walking towards Skyler, he gripped the boy's shoulders, lightly halting his stressed fidgeting. Looking up, the ginger boy stopped gnawing at his lips and just stared at his mate with eyes drowning in distress.

"You know I'd normally let you take your time but unfortunately this seems important, whatever it is that's bothering you I'm here to help, Sky."

Lips opening and closing a couple of times Skyler seemed hesitant, then, suddenly, "I found our mate!" shaking hands clasping on his mouth tightly he cautiously gaged Felix's reaction.

Felix was, to say the least, perplexed. They've always known that they had another mate, another soul connecting them out there somewhere. They could feel it, the moon had never let them feel the contentment that comes with the bonding of souls that were meant to be together.

Before Felix could speak Skyler continued, "That's why I was late today, I was spending time with my... our mate." A fondness filling his beautiful greens, the boy spoke, almost in a daze. Suddenly looking up he beams, "He's so amazing Felix, he-he's nice and his voice is nice, and he loves plants. We have to get him flowers!", stopping to think for a moment he shakes his head, "But he'd want, you know, the living ones, so we should get the ones that can be planted."

Felix couldn't focus on what Skyler was saying as his mind was filled with excited yips and possessive growls from Adryan, the wolf wanted nothing more than to meet his mate himself, whining at every second they were parted. He wanted to hear the 'nice' voice for himself.

"What's his name?"

The simple question seemed to spark something in Skyler as the boy grew even more ecstatic."Oh! Harper, isn't his name so beautiful Fe? I love it!"

Absentmindedly nodding and letting out an "Indeed it is, Sky" to appease his ball of excitement of a mate, he turned back to his thoughts.

Felix was happy, but there was a tiny detail that had been dimming his excitement. He was nervous, to say the least, they didn't know a Harper, so his mate's background was unknown for the time being. He didn't have this problem with the others as their families were familiar with each other. Harper could be anyone from any family, what if it was a bad one?

Felix, nor the others cared about anything but the heart of their mates, and they wouldn't start now. But they all came from respectable families filled with title-hungry people, a commoner was going to be difficult news to break to their families.

"Sky, where did you meet Harper?"

"Remember the tiny library near Central Park? I met him there. He ran into me, it was so cute."

"What did you guys do after that?" Mate or not, Felix had to make sure his Skyler was safe.

"We walked around Central Park and then sat there, just talking." He hesitantly continued, "I don't think he recognized our bond Fe, and he smelt human, what are we gonna do?"

Internally groaning Felix shook his head, they were off to a bad start already. This was an obvious problem, especially for their wolves. Although Felix, Skyler, Elias, and Bennett will be able to feel and grow their mate bond, their wolves won't, making their connection with Harper weaker. It would be unfair, as no matter the situation, he won't be a priority.

Felix ran his hand over his face, reaching the cabinet for his bottle of bourbon, he poured himself a glass.

"What's wrong, love?" The gently asked question made Felix pour himself another glass, right after he'd gulped the first one.