Chapter 25

A little over a week had passed since they'd found out that the mystery lab Harper had grown up in, was in fact Elias' own company. And Elias had spent all that time relentlessly searching for a way to avenge the pain and suffering Harper went through.

Lepus Medicina had reached a point where having multiple labs situated across the globe was easy and convenient, so the one Harper had been in could have been anywhere. Elias could've easily asked Harper where Finnigan's ranch was, as it would most likely be close to that particular lab, however he didn't want to make the boy uncomfortable.

Although Harper was desperately trying to hide how the revelation was affecting him, his nightmares had intensified to a point that not only he, but the others had lost sleep as well. His internal turmoil was enough to alert the wolves despite not having one himself, therefore their beasts were restless as well.

Elias had been... unstable. Shying away from physical contact with his mates of utter shame, and doing everything in his power to spend time apart from them.

He drifted further away each time he unintentionally thought back to how the talk with Felix had gone after the man had returned home, only to find his mates an utter mess.

The man had been furious and accusing. His harsh words directed at the Jilani bloodline had unintentionally wounded Elias deeply, playing on his insecurities all the more. Of course, Felix had apologized profusely after coming to his senses, assuring the man that whatever Harper and other shifters had gone through was not his fault. Though Elias had not acknowledged that as facts, he chose to focus his attention on seeking revenge for the many exploited by his family.

So, upon hours of exhausting inspection, Skyler and Elias found where the lab was located. Florida. Great.

Lab 016.

Now he was walking the vacant streets of the shit show of a state, a grocery bag full of beer bottles clutched in his hand as he drank to his heart's content.

He'd decided it was best to cry today and take action tomorrow.

He didn't know how to approach the matter. March over to the lab like a madman and wreck the place apart? Take on the shameful role of an heir finally gripping onto the ropes of the empire that was left to his name the moment he was born?

He wasn't sure whether he'd be able to stomach being in that place at all. Gore didn't really bother him... that much. But knowing he was standing in the very place his mate had been stripped of his humanity and used like a damn practice gadget was nauseating, and he had no one to hold his hair back if his stomach decided to act up.

He hadn't informed the others of what he was planning to do. Partly because there was no reason to worry them, and partly because he knew that if he had shared his intentions, they'd try to stop him.

Going against the Jilani family was not what any sensible man would attempt. They still held onto their traditional views and practices, therefore family was easily disposable when it came to business.

Elias had already betrayed them once by stepping down from his role and disowning them, trying to bring them down would inevitably put a target on his back. Though he wouldn't mind them taking him out, to willingly put his mates in danger was not and had never been an option.

His drunken bliss was momentarily interrupted by his phone ringing.

Pretty Boy: Ben took me to get a haircut!!!

A smile lifted his lips as he opened the photo Harper had sent right after. The boy's hair looked all the same except for the now shorter stray curls behind his ears. A pout formed on his face as he sadly took in the image. Elias loved those curls to death and was now disappointed.