Chapter 18

Felix woke up to hair tickling his chin and a light weight pushing his chest down. Confusedly looking down, he welcomed the sight of his mate's body half perched on him.

He had to fight a giddy grin as he realized Harper had sought him out during the night.

While making accommodation arrangements with Vincent on the phone, Felix had requested separate rooms or at least separate beds. Their relationship was still very new and he wasn't sure whether Harper would be comfortable sharing a bed. He didn't want to make a careless assumption and cross a boundary.

Though because the motel didn't have many rooms, and the guest list was pretty long due to the holidays creeping up, they were offered a single room with two small beds.

As far as Felix could remember, they'd fallen asleep in their respective areas, yet had woken up sharing his. The man could do nothing to stop himself from inhaling his mate's hair and hugging him closer. Harper had a unique, sweet scent to him, one that scratched every itch in his brain.

It seemed as if Harper had felt reluctant to bother his mate's slumber as he had fallen asleep over the comforter in an awkward position, despite Felix assuring him that he could come if he liked to.

"Sweetheart, I need you to help me for a minute." Felix nudged. Harper whined his complaint and nestled his face further into Felix's body. "You're gonna get cold like this, love."

Looking out of the windows to the midnight sky, Felix concluded that it was no way near morning yet, so getting his mate to a more comfortable position seemed like a good idea.

In response the boy let out an annoying huff and groggily opened his eyes, he was met with Felix's smiling face, "G'morning." he mumbled moving to sit upright.

"Not morning yet." Felix informed while he cupped his cheeks, "Though what a lovely surprise." he teased.

Harper's cheeks heated at the comment and he averted his gaze, "I'm sorry. I just... I wanted a hug and you were there."

"Nothing to be sorry for, love. I loved waking up with you."

Harper smiled big, then rest his head on his mate's shoulder, "You're so comfortable and very warm." he praised.

"Get under the covers," Felix instructed.

Now he was laying on his back with Harper completely on top of him. The boy had rested his chin on his mate's chest and was gazing lovingly into his eyes.

"What?" The older man questioned as he run his fingers through Harper's hair.

"I'm just happy."

"I knew you'd like it, I loved growing up here."

"No- Yes, I do like it here, but I'm happy because you're here." He sheepishly said. Not once since he'd woken up had his cheeks lost the rosy tint that had appeared at the sight of Felix.

"What an adorable cheeseball you are," Felix said as he tickled the boy's sides. Harper laughed as he squirmed and rolled over so he was no longer laying on his mate, rather next to him.

Harper giggled and pushed at Felix's chest, "I'm serious," he whined. "We don't get to spend a lot of time together and I miss you."

While Felix was smirking and teasing, on the inside he felt... soft. Sensitive. He wanted to cry at how clear Harper's affection for him was, he loved the adoration shining brightly in the mismatched eyes of his mate. It was all getting too much for him to handle so he changed the subject.

"What did you think of Vincent?"

Harper paused before he answered, "He's not what I imagined he'd be."