Chapter 5

"Wipe that frown off your face Sophie, you're gonna get wrinkles." Bennett jokingly scolded his seventy-nine-year-old patient.

Rolling her blue eyes, the woman shifted in her seat, "What do you mean Jeremiah looks like he uses a five-in-one shampoo?" she grumbled. Stretching out her arm for the IV Bennett had set up for her.

Laughing at his own joke, the boy's eyes twinkled. "Just a hunch I got from the amount of dandruff flying off his hair each time he moves." He tried to speak steadily as he inserted the tip of the thin needle into Sophie's rumpled skin. "And besides, didn't you say he was the human embodiment of Shrek?"

Scoffing, the lady's false frown slipped off her face, however, the creases didn't disappear as they were permanently edged into her skin. "There's no harm in being honest if I'm doing it."

With a roll of his blue eyes, Bennet half-heartedly agreed with her, "Yeah I suppose..." and with a gentle smile, he parted ways with the old woman.

As he was cleaning a small boy's vomit off the floors of the emergency room, he felt his watch buzz with an alert from his phone. Quickly washing his hands he retreated the device, seeing it was Elias' contact flashing on his screen, he excitedly swiped to answer. "Hi," He said, dragging out the word "how are you, love?"

A tired sigh was all he'd needed to answer his question, though Elias had decided to humor him. He'd noticed yet didn't comment. "I'm... okay" He heard some shuffling and then, "Listen, I was wondering whether you'd like to grab a bite with me during lunch. I uh- I could pick you up?"

The content smile wiped off Bennett's face as he realized he'd have to refuse his mate's hopeful offer. "Aww Eli, I wish I could but things are kind of busy here with the common cold and all." He waited for a response, anything, yet when the other line fell silent, he continued, "Tomorrow maybe?".

He didn't get to hear Elias' defeat as the man had composed himself before replying, "Y-Yeah, of course... I love you, bye." The call had ended abruptly before Bennett could say it back so the blonde boy opted on sending a text.

To Eliii <33

B: I love you, hope you have an amazinggggg day!

E: <3

Satisfied with his mate's reply he put away his phone and once again went back to work.

-----------------

It was nearing ten pm when Bennett could finally take a break to sit. His day was filled to the brim with panicked parents and whiny children, and he was ready for it to be over. Resting his head on the table, he let the surface cool his forehead, desperately trying to dim his headache. His face had dents and redness from where the medical mask had been pressing tightly onto his skin and his pierced ears felt like they were ready to fall off. After a couple of minutes of sitting silently, he begrudgingly stood up and gathered his stuff to head home.

Sending quick 'good night's to his colleagues, he dragged himself out of the hospital. The sun had left the sky hours ago and the weather was cold to where condensed fog left his lungs each time he exhaled through his mouth. Sitting at one of the benches he sighed loudly. His body was begging to rest and his feet were tingling from how much they've been used in a day.

Pulling out his low on battery phone, he searched for Felix's contact. He would've called Eli since he knew the man would still be working at this ungodly hour, however that felt a tad bit selfish. Felix picked up on the first ring and later assured the tired boy he'd come to get him in ten minutes.

Even when the older man's car pulled into the driveway of the hospital, Bennett was adamant about standing up. So chuckling, yet with an underlying worry, Felix carried the blonde boy to his passenger seat. Placing him in the warm car, he kissed the frizzy blonde locks and moved to the driver's side.