Chapter 32

Four heads snapped up at the sound of Felix's ringtone.

"It's Vincent." Bennett's voice shuddered, his heart pounding against his chest.

The older man quickly grabbed the phone from his mate and answered the call. Before Vincent could greet him, "Where the hell have you been? I've been trying to reach you all day!" He bellowed. His face had grown redder and the vein in his head protruded ever so slightly. Anger was a rare look on Felix's, however, the situation seemed deserving.

"I was spending quality time with Harper." His cousin said, his voice carrying a smug note.

Elias stood up, "What?" the walls around them shook with his ferocious roar. "What the fuck are you talking about?" He gritted.

"Is he okay?" Skyler questioned meekly. His heart had been lodged in his throat for the past couple of hours. He wanted nothing more than to have his mate safely tucked in his arms. The boy's amber-green eyes shut tightly for a moment as Soren whimpered.

Vincent scoffed, "Of course he is. I made sure of it." He allowed the implication of his words to settle amongst them.

"Where is he?" Bennett asked desperately.

Felix's hands clenched at his sides. He didn't want to attack his cousin because he got a good understanding of why Vincent had done what he'd done but that didn't make it okay. You didn't mess with a werewolf's mate. So he sighed, "Where are my dad and uncle?"

"With me. We just dropped Harper off at Orion's."

"What the fuck, Vincent?" Elias exploded. His hands were shaking with the strain of trying to tame his rage.

"We took care of your mom by the way, Eli."

"Wh-what?" The man deflated.

"Yeah. Once I realized that you'd left Harper alone I called him. We agreed to meet up at the hospital after his appointments and when I got there Thalia was there, sitting with him."

Simultaneously, dread filled their stomachs. A cold sheen of sweat coated their backs as they tried to grasp the information. Of course, Thalia had approached Harper first. God, how could they have been so stupid?

Shame forced their wolves' necks down as they all whined. It had been hours. They drove over two hours to get to their Hamptons mansion and not once had a single one thought of the boy. Occasional pained howls erupted amongst their wolves that the men tried to ignore.

"Was he- was he okay?"

"He cried a little but Thalia didn't hurt him. Well, not physically at least."

Bennett shut his eyes tightly as his bottom lip quivered. He knew as the rest did that there was no salvaging the hit their relationship took. It was all their fault and there was nothing they could do about it.

"What happened to my... mom?"

"She got arrested. For Lupus Medicina and harassing Harper." Vincent laughed a little. He was proud of himself.

A wave of nausea threatened to bring the man to his knees. He was finally, truly free from the shackles of his mother. They were safe. Though, relief didn't find him as victoriously as he thought it would as a piece of his puzzle still felt missing. A piece that had been there before, one that he'd lost today.

"You should've brought him here."

"Why Felix? He didn't want to see you guys. Why would I drive him ninety-five miles away from his home to a completely unfamiliar place to be stuck with the people who broke his heart?"