chapter 3- those who I want to protect

"when you spend so much time alone in the dark, you notice that the dark is watching you as well"

After an exhausting day I arrived back home and threw myself on the couch right away, turning on the TV and getting ready to watch my favorite show. Being a hunter sure isn't easy but I took this job on willingly so I need to do it well. And it would be a waste to let the magical power within me fade away. Sometimes I feel like it is growing stronger everyday, getting ready to burst and come out all at once, but I know that such a thing is impossible.

"damn man I watched too many superhero movies"

I stared blankly at the TV, feeling my consciousness slowly fade away. Then everything went black. When I opened my eyes I was standing in front of the place I used to call my home, once again. It's probably another one of my nightmares.

I walked into the house and a familiar feeling took over me, despite the fact that I was well aware this was all an illusion. Even if I knew that it's gonna hurt me even more, I wanted to see my parents' smile again. I could never forgive myself for what happened, all because of me. If only I didn't...

Even if I regret it there's no way to go back in time, I need to wake up to reality. Suddenly, the sight in front of my eyes transformed into a pitch black room, taking me away from my thoughts. That was the moment when I realized, this was not an ordinary dream. A feeling of uneasiness washed over me, making me get into a fighting position.

"Who's there? Show yourself and tell me what's the meaning behind this"

I saw a black silhouette approaching me, which was too big to be a human's. My mind was already flooded with scenarios, in case anything goes wrong.

Now it was right in front of me. The only thing keeping us apart was a couple of steps.

"did someone send it here, is it revenge, or is it trying to achieve a different goal?"

Excepting the fact that I found it in my dream, this creature gave me a different aura than the others, it seems like it isn't actually just a creature. There's more to this. And my hunch was indeed right. But I was bound to find that out later.

I was in the middle of thinking once again, but the creature did something I didn't expect it to. It spoke, and I couldn't help but look up in surprise:

"human, I am not here to hurt you, I just want to ask you one question"

"what are you and what will you achieve by hearing my answer to that so called question?"

"I just need to hear your answer, then I will take my leave, that will prove if you're worthy enough to have it"

"what do you mean by it?"

"I am the one who's asking questions, now silence and answer me if you don't want to be trapped in this place for an eternity"

I was still trying to process what was happening. Firstly how was it able to talk and what did he mean by it? Being worthy of what exactly? This doesn't seem like the brightest idea but I don't know what this thing is capable of, or if I'm really going to get stuck in here, but either way I won't risk it.

After thinking about my options I decided to finally speak up:

"I will answer your question, and in return, you'll have to keep your part of the deal"

"a deal is a deal, now I shall tell you the question"

With my heart pounding and being cautious of the creature's actions, I payed attention to its words, which took me by surprise:

"I ask you to answer truthfully to this question. Now, miss okumura, what do you seek in life?"

"excuse me?" I asked, being surprised by his unexpected question.

If I'm being realistic, I never found an answer to that, or even dared myself to do so. I was too scared to. I need to think, what do I want in life? And how does it know my name?

After digging up some painful memories, I finally found the answer, I know what I must do. Even if this path is uncertain and full of danger, I'll take it and follow it, until my journey will end.

"I want to find, and protect the people dear to me"

It seemed like my answer took it by surprise, since its eyes slightly flinched, so I decided to continue

"Even if it means walking off the right path and not being able to return anymore, I'll protect the people that I cherish. Be it fighting humans, or fighting monsters, I'll protect them no matter what or who stands in my way"

An uncomfortable silence took over the room. The creature in front of me seemed to think about what I said, then I saw it throwing me a slight smile, almost like a human. It felt like I had a human in front of me, instead of the monster who invaded my dream.

It looked up straight into my eyes and I could see it, its eyes were filled with confidence and power, unimaginable power. I couldn't take my eyes off from the horrid yet strange creature in front of me, but its voice broke the silence.

"Very well, I shall give you credit. It seems like you are worthy enough to handle it. Learn how to control it, the ending is close."

Those were the last words that I heard before I saw it dissapearing into the darkness.

Then everything went black, and I woke up once again.

A/n

Who is the mysterious shadow figure? I'm getting stranger things vibes from this chapter💀💀✋

I hoped you enjoyed the chapter, feel free to leave a review in the comment section!