chapter 5- let the raid begin!

"Good means different things to different people"

After returning to the eagles guild, I put on the necessary equipment and started heading towards the new found gate, in order to lead the operation.

Three days have passed since we were inside the gate, when we set foot on the cold ground once again. This time the number of reporters slightly decreased. When I looked up to the sky I saw the sun getting further away from us, until it dissapeared from our sight, and the moon made its apparition. No wonder there weren't many people, it was already 11pm.

I gave my guild members a warm smile and a "good job", my actions being followed by their happy screams. This night would've been an ideal one to get sleep, but I chose to spend some time alone. I said my goodbye, then I started heading to the closest restaurant in the area. I sat down on the comfortable chair and ordered a hot coffee. The only person who was in the restaurant was an old man who didn't seem to recognize me, which made me feel at ease. I needed time to relax without being bothered by the media, or the presence of other people, at least.

The waitress approached me and gave me my coffee. After saying a thank you, I grabbed it and took a small sip, feeling the hot sensation on my tongue. I think Michele was right when she said that I was a coffee addict. I didn't want to think about my situation or the past events, but my thoughts convinced me to do so. The raid was going to take place tomorrow. It will be the decisive day, we're either going to succed, or fail, like the previous hunters. I am confident in my abilities and the chairman's decision, so there's no need to get worried.

As I was taking my last sip of coffee I failed to notice the hunter approaching me and making her way to my table. When I looked up to the familiar face I saw no other than hunter cha. I relaxed and let myself fall back into my chair.

"it's unexpected to meet you here, hunter cha" I said while making eye contact

"it indeed is, did I bother you? that wasn't my intention" she said, while showing slight concern

"don't worry, I just finished my coffee anyway" I reassured her, letting her know that she did nothing wrong

She smiled for a couple of seconds, then the room fell into an awkward silence once again. Hunter cha was a kind person since I've known her, and a reliable person. I never got the chance to talk to her about other than raids and hunter business, but I guess there's a beginning for everything.

"good luck on the jeju island raid tomorrow, I'm sure you'll do great" she said, breaking the silence

Her words took me by surprise, since I could feel that she was being genuine. It was something strange and new at the same time, since the only people who could count as friends of mine were Michele and the chairman, who was more like a parental figure. In the past years, I've been too busy with training and becoming a hunter, so making friends was out of my to do list. I decided to answer her, since I felt a questioning glare coming towards me. I probably blanked out again.

"thank you for your kind words, but aren't you joining the raid as well?"

"I wish I could, but I was assigned with another mission. I'm sure you and the other hunters will do great though, since you're all amazing."

I nodded, then got up from my chair. I left the money for my coffee on the table, then got ready to take my leave, when I noticed her dissapointed grin. The next thing that I did was something I wasn't expecting from myself.

"let's keep in touch, hunter cha. here is my contact information" I said while handing her the written piece of paper

"I'll make sure to do that, have a good night!" she said as I was making my way to the exit

"have a good night as well" I said as I left the shop

When I set foot outside, I couldn't help but feel the chilly breeze that made contact with my skin. It was already 1:34am. It seems like I spent a pretty long time in the cafe.

While making my way home, I kept thinking about my previous conversation with hunter cha. I wasn't the best at making friends, but there's a beginning for everything. For now I just need to focus on tomorrow.

-next morning-

I was woken up by my alarm and got up right after. This day was an important one for me, and for everyone else, so I had to give it my best. I quickly went through my morning routine, got ready, then left the house. It was 6am. I got in the car waiting outside, and started heading towards the place the chairman decided on.

After arriving, I noticed the hundreds of hunters waiting outside, and the reporters who were already recording everything. A short time passed, then we were led to the airplanes, depending on our grade and role we were going to play in the raid. I was separated from my guild, and got in a plane with multiple important hunters.

The airplane started flying, and by the time I realized, we were already in the air. I started looking around, in an attempt to identify the hunters surrounding me, then I saw him. I could recognize him anywhere, he was the person from that night, the one who dissapeared in the shadows without any trace. It seems like he was also looking in my direction, then we made eye contact. Now, I could feel his immense power, only by staying in his presence. The other hunters didn't seem to notice it though, which made me feel uneasy.

I wanted to ask him a lot of question, starting with who, no, what is he, but I was interrupted by a voice:

"we're landing in 30 seconds, prepare for the impact"

Then the back door opened, revealing jeju island, the place where we must fight. Me and the other hunters made our way towards the exit after the plane landed on the ground. We got off and started heading to our assigned places, then I heard the same voice once again:

"now, let the raid begin"

A/n

I tried my best to write a longer chapter, I hope I didn't screw it up tho.

The story might not continue in the same way as the original manhwa, because I don't remember all of the details, so I often find myself searching on Google certain characters and arcs🏃🏻‍♀️🏃🏻‍♀️

It will prolly take a couple of days or weeks until the next update though because school is starting and I gotta focus on that. Thanks to all of the people who read my story until now <3