chapter 8- make a decision!

"I'll take a potato chip and eat it"

We both got into my car, staying silent the whole trip. He didn't say anything in the meantime, and I didn't intend to start a conversation. I decided to take my mind off things and think positively. I got closer to the window, and I opened it. I closed my eyes as the strong wind was blowing my hair. It felt refreshing. I could see the hunter next to me questioning my actions but I didn't pay any attention to him. Right now I will enjoy the moment.

After 5 minutes we arrived at our destination. Hunter sung jinwoo was the one who chose the location. I only saw a glimpse of him whispering something to my driver before we got in. I ignored him and let him choose the place and to my surprise, it was a local restaurant. I thought he would choose a fancy restaurant, like other hunters would, but I guess he chose something modest over a fancy place.

I noticed jinwoo staring at the cozy restaurant for a couple of seconds, with nostalgia visible on his expression. That was the moment when I realized that I don't know anything about the man whom I fought alongside with. I decided not to ask him anything for now though, it was not my business to meddle into his life.

I followed him inside the restaurant, and watched as he made his way to the person staying at the desk. When he saw jinwoo, I saw the man's expression brighten up.

"how have you been lately? I didn't see you in a long time" the strange man asked

"I'm good Oscar, it seems like your business is going well"

I was staring confused at them, not understanding their relationship. It was clear that they knew each other for a long time, and their conversations looked quite important. I decided not to interfere in their way, so I made my way to a table and told hunter jinwoo that I'll wait there. In normal circumstances I would be at home, watching Netflix, but I was curious about what he had to say.

After 5 minutes he made his way to the table and sat down.

"it took you some time"

"sorry for making you wait, he is an old friend"

I didn't know what to answer, so I just nodded and told him that it's alright. Right after that, the man from previously came to our table and handed us 2 cups.

"here's your drinks, enjoy"

After he left I gave jinwoo a confused glare.

"but I didn't order anything"

"this is their signature drink, consider it as a favor for saving my life"

I didn't expect him to say thank you for that event, but he did, in his own way. I looked at the drink I never saw before, but I decided to taste it. After taking a sip, I was surprised. That drink was actually really good. I tried not to show too many emotions, and keep it profesional.

After a while jinwoo asked the waiter to bring us lunch, then the room fell into an awkward silence again. Despite the loud music ringing in my ears, and the dozens of people talking, it felt too silent. He didn't say anything about his offer until now. Before I was able to ask him anything, he started talking.

"this is a special place for me, I have been coming here ever since I was a child"

Wait is this dude gonna tell me his life story or something? What's happening?

"I used to come here with a very special person. That's how I know Oscar"

I was getting impatient and frustrated with the lack of details, and I think he noticed it.

"the special person I used to come here with, was my dad. Oscar was one of his good friends, and he has been working here for years"

He paused for a moment, then gave me a glance. I decided to speak up, in an attempt to continue the conversation.

"why aren't you coming here with your dad anymore? and where is he right now"

I knew this was a horrible decision when I noticed his expression become blank.

"my father has gone missing years ago"

When I heard those words I felt sympathy for him. I know how hard it is to lose your parent.

"I'm sorry for your loss"

"don't worry, it was a long time ago"

Despite the previous discussion, I couldn't figure out why he told me this, or what is he trying to say.

"do you have any reason for telling me this?"

"okumura, let's join forces." he paused for a second, then made eye contact with me "I need someone strong to help me with my objective, and I think you're the right person. I'll also help you if you're in need of anything. think of it as mutual help"

I was staring confused, trying to figure out his reason for choosing me.

"you're a very strong person, and I think we'll be a great help to each other. an official document is not needed, your words are enough. I really hope this chance doesn't go to waste, it would be such a shame, wouldn't it?"

After saying what he had to say, he put his head on his hand and stared at me, waiting for my answer.

Should I recklessly accept his offer? I'm sure he wouldn't pull any trick, but I still had my doubts. Is it safe to do that?

These thoughts were running over and over again in my head, while jinwoo was still waiting. I was just staring at the ground shocked, trying to find my words. This is going to be a long day.

A/n

I know I took a pretty long time to update but I hope you understand. School has been keeping me pretty busy lately :)

Right now there's drama and a lot of tea💅 but the romance will come in later. It's a slow burn after all isn't it?