chapter 12- new found appreciation

"The weak will die. Die, and make way for others"

The big day finally arrived. I was waiting outside of my house with a relatively small bag in my hands. I tried to pack as little as possible, and focus only on the necessities. I don't know how much time I'll spend in France so I can't underpack, but a big luggage would slow me down, so hopefully I've packed the perfect amount. My driver should be here soon. I'm not worried about being late, but I'd lie if I said I am not anxious. The sooner I get there the better.

Soon after that, a car picked me up and we made our way towards the assigned meeting spot. When I arrived, I could see the small airplane waiting for us. Despite its side, it was one of the fastest planes in the country, and it was used only for emergencies. I thanked my driver and got out of the car, then walked inside the plane. To my surprise, jinwoo was already there. He was sitting on the edge of a chair, with papers scattered around the table in front of him. I tried my best to hold in my laugh after seeing the state he was in. I guess I wasn't the only one who had a rough night. As I got closer, I could see dark circles forming under his eyes very clearly. I walked to the seat in front of him and sat down. He looked at me for a couple of seconds, then plopped his head back in his hands. He managed to say a quick "morning" that was followed by silence.

"had a bad night?" I asked jokingly, trying to lighten up the mood

"worse than you could imagine"

Not knowing what to reply, I took a paper sheet from the table and looked over it. It was full of sketches, and information about gates.

"were you doing research for our mission?" I asked him with interest

"I wanted to be prepared" he replied "but I couldn't find much information, it's like someone wants to stop us on purpose"

"you shouldn't sacrifice your sleep for work. Plus, you need to be in good shape if we want to close that gate"

After hearing my words, jinwoo started laughing. I looked at him confused, not understanding his sudden outburst.

"sorry for that" he said pausing for a moment to look up at me "I just didn't think you're the kind of person who would show concern for others"

"it's important to have a balance between your work and needs. I would've said that to anyone in your situation" I replied, hoping that jinwoo didn't notice my embarrassment

"either way, thank you"

"get some sleep, we have a couple of hours left until we get there"

He nodded and drifted off to sleep. I looked at him for a couple of minutes, trying to solve the mystery. Who was this man really? And how does he often manage to make me let my guard down? I feel a kind of comfort around him, one I didn't allow myself to feel before. When you're a hunter, you have to be cautious of everyone. They can quickly turn into an enemy. As strange as that, I feel like he can be the exception. I hope he will.

Shortly after that, my thoughts were interrupted by a crew member. He came to announce me that the plane is ready to take off. I politely thanked him and returned to my thoughts. Despite trying to stay focused, I found myself growing more tired with each passing second. At some point, I fell asleep as well.

_________________

I was woken up by a loud noise, dangerously close to me. I opened my eyes and jumped out of my chair, getting ready to deal with whatever situation would show up.

I was relieved to see the crew member from before. It seemed like he was he was the one behind it.

"I'm so sorry miss!" he said apologetically, not daring to look up at me "I accidentally dropped a fork when I was bringing you and hunter jinwoo food"