chapter 6- a matter of life and death

"It's a form of power to be able to embrace yourself in all the ways you are and all the ways you're not"

I was running towards south together with a couple more hunters, while cautiously checking my surroundings. I started getting anxious about the whole situation, realizing the gravity of it, but I quickly shoved those thoughts aside.

I suddenly felt a presence coming in our direction with malicious intent, making me back away and warn the others to do the same thing. When I looked up I noticed ants, maybe dozens of them standing in front of us. They projected themselves towards us at a fast rate. They were no ordinary ants.

Not wasting any time, I took out my dagger, getting ready to attack. I started running towards the ants and avoided their attacks thanks to my speed. I got on top of one and cut its head off, making the lifeless body crumble to the ground. I proceeded to do the same thing over and over again, until all of the ants in sight were wiped out. Luckily nobody suffered serious injuries, which made me feel less worried. While I was scanning the area in an attempt to find more enemies, I heard a loud scream coming from the east. Not wasting any time, I started running towards the people who needed help. As I was getting closer, I felt a monstrous aura coming from that direction. I started running as fast as I could, not caring if I would waste my energy. I needed to save those people.

When I arrived there I couldn't help but gasp. The sight before me left me speechless. There were countless people who died, or laid injured on the floor. I could feel anger build up inside me. Not too far from there I noticed 4 more people trying to fight the huge ant. I felt the malicious aura once again, stronger than before, and that's when I realized what we were dealing with. This was probably the boss of the dungeon, the most dangerous out of all. Just fighting a couple of ants made me feel slight fatigue, I couldn't imagine the effect this fight is going to have on me.

I signaled the other hunters to back away, since they were already badly injured. I took my dagger out once again, and started running towards the big ant, more cautious than with the previous ones. It tried to hit me, and to my surprise, it left a small scratch on my shoulder. I wasn't fast enough. I backed away, trying to make up a plan. This is the point when I had to become serious, and use my abilities.

I closed my eyes and started focusing on my mana, letting the air come in and flow through my body. I opened my eyes and stepped back right before the ant's attack hit me. I gained control on my feet, and once I did so, I started running in circles, in an attempt to confuse the creature.

Usual methods won't work on it, so I might as well pull something flashy.

I got close to the ant, trying to slice its body open, but this clearly didn't work. I tried hitting the body once again and search for weak points, but I had to back away if I didn't want to get hit. This creature was the most powerful enemy I had to deal with until now, for sure. Its speed and power matched mine, and it was intelligent enough to figure out my strategy.

I suddenly felt another aura approach me, making me put my dragger in front of me, in a defensive way. When I got a better look at him, I noticed that he was the same person from the airplane. The black haired man. We made eye contact for a couple of seconds, but it was interrupted by his voice:

"I came here as soon as I felt this energy. I see you're not injured."

I was still a little bit shocked by his sudden appearance, but quickly pulled myself together.

"this ant is the most powerful one here, probably the dungeon boss. its skin is hard as a rock and can't be penetrated easily."

The man looked like he was processing the information I just gave him, then answered: