forty-two | with you

IT WAS AN ODD FEELING driving to jail like they were just there to visit John B at boarding school

     IT WAS AN ODD FEELING driving to jail like they were just there to visit John B at boarding school. Their plan was to visit him so they could fill him in on JJ's plan, which also meant having to get John B to agree to it. When JJ told Carson what his idea was, she thought it was a bit crazy but she also expected that from him.

"We're here to see John B Routledge," JJ said loudly when they got to the main desk.

"No music and get rid of the toothpick," the officer said. Carson reached over and grabbed the toothpick from JJ's mouth before sticking it into hers. The officer raised his eyebrows at her as if to ask what she was doing.

"Got rid of the toothpick for him," she joked with a wink.

"I can't hear what you're saying, man, alright?" JJ said. "These things are on full blast. That's what I said. I'm here to see John B Routledge."

"Can you tell him to turn his music off?" the officer asked Carson.

"That's your job, not mine," she said as she leaned casually against the desk with the toothpick still dangling out of her mouth. He just sighed and motioned for JJ to remove his headphones.

"Music?" he said. The officer nodded his head and JJ pulled the headphones off. "I mean, I thought it was a free country and all, but uh, I guess you don't like freedom very much, now do you, cupcake?" The officer clearly seemed to have enough because he grabbed JJ and shoved him against the wall.

"Uh, not worth it," Deputy Plumb noted as she walked in to see the situation.

"Good to see you, Plumb," JJ said. Carson strolled over towards them and smiled sarcastically at the deputy.

"Thought I told you to take the toothpick out," the other officer said.

"Oh, this? This is what you wanted me to take out?" she said as she pointed to the toothpick.

"Just nice to have something in your mouth, you know?" JJ joked.

"Couldn't agree more," Carson said before smirking and throwing the toothpick onto the ground.

"Yeah," Deputy Plumb said dryly at the teenagers' jokes. "Take off your hat and empty your pockets."

"Yes, ma'am," JJ said. Plumb led them through the halls to get to John B. One of the inmates slammed on the glass as they rounded the corner, making both of them jump in surprise.

"Hey! Why don't you come in here?" he yelled. "Bring your pretty little girlfriend." Carson shot him a glare as she pushed JJ forward, not wanting him to react to the inmate's taunting.

"Five minutes," Plumb told them. Carson could hardly look at John B as he sat there in the orange inmate jumpsuit. It just made her blood boil knowing that he was stuck in there when Rafe was walking free. It was quiet for a few seconds before they all broke into smiles.