twenty-eight | once a pogue, always a pogue

THE CLOUDS WERE BECOMING DARKER as they waited for John B on the dock

THE CLOUDS WERE BECOMING DARKER as they waited for John B on the dock. It felt ominous, like it was the universe warning them not to do what they were doing. But of course, why would they listen to the universe? It's not like the universe was ever on their side.

"Dude, where is he?" Kiara asked.

"Give him a second. He'll be here," Pope said determinedly.

"He's coming. He'll be fine," JJ agreed. Carson glanced over her shoulder when she heard a cop car approaching them and she groaned.

"You've got to be shitting me," she muttered.

"Get back on the boat," JJ said as he prepared for a quick getaway. The cops were probably also looking for them, so if they got caught then John B was on his own. "Get back on the boat. Untie it."

"Shit," Kiara said. Carson looked back over when she heard the door open and was surprised when she realized it was actually John B.

"Wait," JJ said as he realized the same. "No way."

"No f'ing way," Pope said. Carson let out a loud laugh as she jogged over to John B. She threw her arms around him in relief and he returned the hug before looking over at the others.

"Shoupe let me take it for a spin," he joked.

"Okay, that's believable. I'll buy that... for now," Kiara laughed as she took her turn to hug their friend.

"It wasn't easy, bro, but I got the Phantom for ya, and she runs like she was made yesterday," JJ said. He threw the keys over to John B. "You ready to go?"

"Where's Sarah?" John B asked.

"She's not with you?" Kiara said.

"No, no, we got separated in the swamp," he told them. "She said she was gonna meet me here."

"No, we haven't seen her, man," Pope said.

"Okay, well, I'm not leaving without her," he said. Carson ran a hand through her hair in frustration. She knew this wasn't going to be easy, but she just wanted one thing to go right for once.

"John B, look at me," JJ said. "I know you feel bad for leaving, but there's no time, man. You've got plenty of gas, you've got plenty of food. Once you get around that point, it's a straight shot across the sound to Dismal Swamp, okay? Once you get there, lay low, alright? Hang out for a couple of weeks and then go overland, cross the border at Brownsville. You got that? Brownsville." When it was clear that John B was distracted, JJ grabbed him. If he wanted to get out of this, he needed to be focused. "Hey! You got that?"

"Yeah, yeah. Brownsville," he mumbled.

"We'll make sure she's okay," Carson promised him. "Sarah's with us now. You need to take care of yourself, JB. We'll take care of the rest." He nodded his head then climbed onto the boat.