twenty-one | the right thing

AFTER THEY LEFT BARRY'S they headed to The Wreck to figure out their next plan

     AFTER THEY LEFT BARRY'S they headed to The Wreck to figure out their next plan. Carson found herself preoccupied by the thought of JJ. She had agreed with the others about how he had been acting lately, but she knew she should have just left with him. He needed her and she didn't go. She should have pushed past her own frustrations with him and helped him figure his out. Letting JJ be alone could either help him pull it together or it could make him fall apart. She wished she hadn't had to question which outcome it would be.

"Look, he'll come around, alright?" John B broke the silence. "It's... he's doing a JJ thing." That didn't make Carson feel better about it.

"You think he'll go home?" Kiara asked.

"There's about a zero percent chance that JJ goes home," Pope said. Carson hoped he was right. The last thing JJ needed was his dad. John B looked over at Sarah when he noticed how quiet she was being. This life was new to her.

"You okay?" he asked.

"Yeah," she said. "Are you?"

"I mean, I'm in one piece, so," he replied. They smiled at each other for a moment. It made Carson wish she had gone with JJ even more.

"Okay," Pope said with a sigh. "It's too dangerous to pawn this thing off piecemeal. So our best bet is to go down there and get the rest of it. Bring it all up at once. Put it in- in a safe or a vault or something. I- I don't know. Just until we can find someone who won't rip us off."

"He's right," Carson said. "We need to be careful who we trust with this. We almost got our heads blown off for seven pounds worth of it. Just imagine what'll happen when we bring it all up." What they were doing was dangerous, especially considering how many people had been searching for the gold and it was just a bunch of teenagers who finally did it... with the help of Big John, of course.

"I can go figure it out tonight, I can get it all done, and we can be out there as early as tomorrow morning," Pope finished.

"Alright, let's do it," John B said.

"Easy."

"Yeah, let's go," he said.

"What about that thing with my dad?" Sarah mentioned.

"Shit."

"What thing?" Carson and Pope asked.

"I have to go fishing with Ward," he said. Carson raised her eyebrows in surprise. John B and Sarah looked over at her, expecting her to blow up, but she didn't say anything. She realized that getting angry about it just showed she still cared and she didn't want to care about Ward. It did kind of get on her nerves that Ward was still trying to get to John B, but she had to trust John B. Otherwise, Ward would win.

"You can't get 400 mil 'cause you're gonna go kill fish?" Kiara said.

"Look, I have to go," he said.