sixty | that's how it's done

LIVING ON THE ISLAND was surprisingly not as difficult as the Pogues would have thought

     LIVING ON THE ISLAND was surprisingly not as difficult as the Pogues would have thought. Well, maybe at first it was, but they had proven to be more resourceful than typical teenagers may be. That was likely due to the fact that they had been living this sort of lifestyle for quite some time.

"You spelled it wrong," Carson commented as she leaned over JJ's shoulder.

"What? No, I didn't," he said. Though, she could hear the hesitation in his voice that told her he wasn't exactly sure. He leaned back a bit as if that would give him a better perspective at the dirty white piece of cloth.

"I know," she replied with an amused smirk. He rolled his eyes and jumped to his feet, dragging the handmade flag behind him as he searched for the perfect tree to hang it from. Carson followed him and joined Kiara as they watched JJ ascend the tree to begin securing it around.

"Woo! You did it, Jayj! Poguelandia!" Kiara cheered. "It's perfect!" Carson began clapping and laughed as JJ celebrated next to their new flag blowing in the wind. They had done a decent amount to make the island feel as habitable as possible, but raising their Poguelandia flag finally made it feel like home. None of them knew how long they were going to be stuck on the island, so they were just trying to make the most of it. Being on the island seemed easier for some of them than others. JJ was acting like he could stay there forever and he wouldn't complain. Meanwhile, Carson noticed the frequency at which Sarah would just stare out into the ocean. She did what she could to keep herself busy, but Carson could tell there was something that was bothering Sarah.

"Rescue?" JJ said. "From what? From paradise? I'm not going back. Ever. I mean, look around. We got everything we need, right here."

"I wouldn't mind, you know, a shower or a margarita maybe, but I can get on board with that," Carson said.

"Who needs a shower when you can embrace the smell of the wild?" JJ said. She leaned over towards him and immediately pulled back.

"You," she said. "You definitely need a shower." He threw his arm around her and put her in a gentle headlock so that her head was near his armpit. "JJ, ew! You smell so bad," she screamed as she tried pushing him off of her. He laughed before releasing her and ruffling her hair. "You almost just killed me with your stench," she told him as she unhappily fixed her hair. "I'd like to see how you'd explain that one to Penelope." Although she was having fun living on the island with her best friends, she did miss her mom. She couldn't imagine what she was going through not knowing where Carson was. Yes, she was used to them running off and getting into trouble, but she always knew that she was alive. This time might be different, and she did feel guilty about that.

"Alright, now that the drama queen is breathing fresh air again, how's yours looking? You ready to provide for the family?" JJ asked, referring to the spears that they were making to go fishing.

"Yeah," Kiara said.

"Let's go kill something," he said as they began making their way towards the ocean.

"You don't have to say it like that," Kiara pointed out.

"Yeah, well, that's exactly what we're gonna do," he said.

"It sounds so barbaric," she said.

"Well, that's the circle of life, Kie. Unless you want to eat coconuts forever," JJ stated.

"I don't think I ever want to look at another coconut ever again," Carson said. They stepped into the shallow end of the water as they prepared to find some fish to catch.

"Today's the day. Alright, remember, watch your shadow. They see that, they're gone," JJ instructed them.

"Or if they smell you and they're gone," Carson muttered under her breath. JJ was too focused on the fish to hear her though. JJ had been trying to teach Kiara how to catch fish, but she wasn't quite getting the hang of it. Carson, on the other hand, seemed to pick up on the skill quicker than she even thought she would. It did make her a bit impatient watching Kiara continuously miss, but once again, they didn't know how long they would be on the island for so it was better for her to learn than to just give up.

"Kie, it's a skate. He's coming over by you!" JJ told her.

"I can't," Kiara said. "I really can't."

"I'm too hungry to miss this," Carson said as she stepped in and plunged her spear into the water and right through the fish. She looked over at Kiara and bowed. "And that's how it's done."