forty-three | right here with us

IT WAS NOW OR NEVER

     IT WAS NOW OR NEVER. That's what Carson kept telling herself as she sat impatiently in the passenger seat of the ambulance with JJ in the driver seat.

"So, Ricky was okay with you taking this?" she asked.

"Uh, yeah, something like that," JJ responded vaguely. That meant that Ricky was most definitely not okay with JJ taking it.

"You realize what will happen if we get caught, right?" she reminded him.

"I know," he said. "That's why if you want to back out, you still can." He was obviously not going to force her to stay, but he was hoping that she would.

"Oh hell no, I'm not dipping. The fun's only getting started," she said. He laughed before clicking his phone to check the time.

"Waiting on your call, John B," he said. The sound of a police siren made Carson jump. She pushed herself into a sitting position from where she had previously been slouched in the seat.

"Act cool. Act cool," she said.

"Shut up," he mumbled. He turned his head slightly to the side and tapped on the steering wheel to try to act nonchalant.

"I hate when it's slow like this, you know?" the officer commented.

"Tell me about it, man," JJ said.

"Hey, what happened to Ricky?" the man asked. "He bang out?"

"Something like that," JJ answered.

"One three Eddie. We got an unknown at KC Detention," a woman's voice spoke over the radio. JJ reached over and grabbed the radio.

"Uh, yeah, ten-four. I'll be right there. Thank you so much. Over," he said awkwardly. "Duty calls. I'll see you later, Officer. Uh, you have a good night though, okay?"

"Hold up," he said.

"Shit," Carson muttered under her breath.

"I got nothing to do," the officer said. "I'll pace you."

"The one time a cop wants to fucking be helpful in this town," Carson said. The closer they got to the jail, the more nervous Carson was feeling. The plan sounded too easy and deep down she knew that something was bound to go wrong.

"Alright, load him up," JJ called out after backing the ambulance into the bay.

"You gonna get your patient here, chief?" the nurse asked.

"Go get your patient," Carson said quietly. "Go, go."

"Yeah, right on," JJ said. "Yeah, I'm gonna get my patient." Carson hopped out of the side and followed JJ around to the back, trying to keep her nerves in check so that she wouldn't raise any alarms.

"Where's Ricky?" the nurse asked.

"Ricky? Uh, food poisoning," JJ answered. "You know, uh, Ming Dynasty off of Highway 25? Them egg rolls, dude. Now they'll get ya. They'll get you good."