seven | last bit of hope

AFTER THE DAY THEY HAD, Carson figured it would be time to finally return home

     AFTER THE DAY THEY HAD, Carson figured it would be time to finally return home. She figured she would have to face her mom eventually, so she'd rather just get it over with. As soon as she opened the door, her mom stood up from the couch.

"You're home," she stated the obvious. It wouldn't have been the first time that Carson hadn't come home in over a day. Whenever they got in a big fight, Carson wouldn't return for at least a day or two. Her mom never really got too worried about it because she knew Carson would always come back once she was cooled off. When it was just the two of them, personal space was needed. They just stared at each other for a moment before her mom spoke again. "Do you want to talk about it?" 

"Not really," Carson said. Despite the fact that it was such big news, she was trying to push past it. JJ was right. She didn't need Ward in her life, so she didn't want to give him the time of day to worry about him. 

"Okay," her mom said, sounding a mixture of both relieved and nervous. She wasn't sure if it was a good or bad sign that Carson didn't want to talk about it. "If you ever do, I promise I will be completely honest with you. And if you ever need to talk about anything, you know I'm always here."

"I know, Mom," Carson said. She was lucky to have the relationship that she did with her mom because not everyone did. She couldn't imagine being in John B or JJ's shoes without anyone there to rely on. This thought made her walk over and hug her mom, hoping it would be a silent way to tell her that she forgave her and that everything was okay. She clearly got the message because she squeezed Carson back with a happy smile. 

"I love you," she said.

"I love you too," Carson replied. 

After hanging at home with her mom for a while, she got a text from JJ that she needed to head over to John B's. Apparently that had something urgent that they needed to tell her, Pope, and Kiara. Carson could only imagine what that something would be, but she was eager to find out. 

"And then we were right outside like this," JJ said. He leaned up against the brick wall as he recapped the story of them at Mrs. Grubbs' house when they saw the two guys that had tried to kill them in the boat. "And all we hear is just 'Bam! Bam! Bam!' Knocking paint off the wall, G! From the inside, alright? And I'm just looking at him, like- wait, first off, look at this shit. Look at it." JJ rushed over and started shaking his hair out so that little pieces of white flakes fell out.

"The house," Pope said.

"That's dandruff... disgusting," Kiara said. 

"Look at all that. Alright, that's paint," JJ insisted. "At that point, I was just, like, I'm waiting for death." Carson laughed at how dramatic he was being. But then again, she was there when they had first tried to kill them, so she was certain they would try again.