seventy | can't be them

IT HAD NEVER been this uncomfortable between the two of them before, even counting the time that Carson had first kissed him and neither of them really knew what it meant

IT HAD NEVER been this uncomfortable between the two of them before, even counting the time that Carson had first kissed him and neither of them really knew what it meant. Neither of them would be considered shy or awkward people either, so the way in which they both stood there in silence avoiding eye contact was a sight to behold. Eventually one of them was going to have to speak, so Carson figured since she essentially was the one to start this fight, it probably should have been better if she started the apology too.

"I'm not going to apologize for telling you how I felt," she said. Maybe it wasn't the best start, but she never claimed she was good at admitting when she was wrong. "But... I will apologize for what I said and for not believing you right away. It was a shit thing to think you would cheat on me, and it was an even shittier thing to bring your dad into it."

"Yeah, it was," JJ said bluntly. Carson's face turned to one of shock at his response. She knew JJ was stubborn but he wasn't in the right either. She shook her head and turned to walk out, baffled that was all he had to say, but before she could his hand wrapped around her wrist to turn her back towards him. When she did, he was standing right in front of her and looking down at her with a soft gaze. "But it was shitty of me to do anything that would make you even think that I would cheat on you in the first place, and it was even shittier of me to bring your dad into it too." The last remaining bit of weight that felt like it was resting heavily on her chest suddenly lifted and it made her feel like she could breathe easy again.

"We're not them," she said simply. He lifted his hand up to brush her hair behind her ear.

"We can't be them," he added. Carson just leaned up and pressed her lips hard against his as a response. It hadn't even been that long that they weren't speaking, but she already had missed him during that time. She was beginning to get worried that they weren't going to get through this one, but it turned out that Pope was right that they would. Both of them had said things that they didn't mean, but if they had let their words actually matter then there was no coming back from it.

After they had made up, Carson was eager to tell JJ about Big John being back. There was still a lot of questions that they had though so they figured the best way was to get to the source. That's why they hopped on JJ's motorbike and headed over to the Chateau. However, it seemed that John B and Big John were no longer there but instead, Kiara was. It was the first time that Carson had saw her since she accused them of having something going on, and Kiara clearly was unsure of how to approach her.

"We're good, Kie," Carson said simply as she swung her legs off of JJ's bike. She just wanted to get this all over with. "Sorry I lost my cool there for a bit. Must have been the dehydration getting to my head." Kiara laughed.

"We've all been there," she said. It was obvious that Carson just wanted to brush it under the rug, so Kiara just did the same.

"John B not here?" JJ asked.

"No."

"So, what's up?" he said.

"Uh, Rafe's what's up," Kiara told them. Carson let out a groan of annoyance at the sound of his name. Somehow either he or Ward ended up being involved in every sort of problem they had to deal with, and for once she just wanted something to not be associated with the Cameron's (with the exception of Sarah, of course).

"What's up with Rafe now?" Carson questioned.

"Rafe's back on the island. Sarah saw him," she answered.

"Spectacular," JJ said sarcastically.

"It's not just that," Kiara continued. "She overheard him saying that the cross is coming to Wilmington tomorrow night. Figure he must be trying to sell it."

"Great. Does Pope know?" he asked. They all cared about the cross, but no one had as much of a personal connection to it as Pope did.

"Yeah, Sarah went to tell him," she said. "He's locked down, and I guess John B and his dad went and got the Twinkie. They're off to God knows where." She handed them the note that John B had left to let them know, and Carson grabbed it.

"They just left?" Carson said.

"Yeah, of course. Just when we need 'em," JJ said. "Wait. Hold on though. We know where the cross is gonna be. That means it's still on the field. Okay, alright, so we can come in and swoop. We're still in this. We gotta get everybody together, then we'll come up with a plan. Get our asses to Wilmington as soon as possible."

"Can't wait to see what crazy plan we come up with this time," Carson announced.