two | one of the boys

THE AFTERMATH OF THE HURRICANE was massive

     THE AFTERMATH OF THE HURRICANE was massive. Trees were down everywhere and the power was down throughout the island. Carson had no service on her phone, but she figured the Pogues were going to meet up anyway. It was rare that they went a day without seeing each other. 

"Mom, I'm heading out to the dock!" she called out as she changed into her bathing suit and threw a pair of jean shorts and a t-shirt over it. 

"Be careful," her mom yelled back. "And don't let those boys corrupt you!" But she couldn't fool anyone - her mom loved the boys even if she pretended like she didn't.

"It's too late for that!" Carson told her before running out to the dock. She sat with her feet dangling over the edge, turning her face up towards the sun as she waited for them to pick her up. The heat against her face was a relaxing feeling, so much that it could have made her fall asleep. It was about ten minutes before she heard a boat engine nearby. She opened her eyes to find John B, Pope, and JJ approaching her in the boat.

"Took you long enough," she commented.

"Sorry, didn't mean to keep yer majesty waiting," JJ replied. She flipped him off, which just made him laugh. He held his hand out to help her onto the boat.

"This hurricane was a bitch, huh?" she said.

"You can say that again," Pope said.

"Wasn't DCS supposed to come today?" Carson asked John B as she leaned against the edge of the boat. 

"Not with all this wreckage," he said. She felt for him. She may have only had her mom, but he didn't have anyone. His mom left and then his dad disappeared. JJ's dad was a real piece of work too. Pope and Kiara still had both of their parents, but that didn't mean they didn't still have issues. They were both something other than what their parents expected them to be and that caused conflict. None of them had perfect home lives, but then again, who did?

"Oh, top o' the mornin' to ya," John B said sarcastically as the boat pulled up to the dock at Kiara's family's restaurant. 

"Good morning, boys. Morning, Car," she greeted them.

"Morning," JJ and Carson said to her. 

"Whatcha got? You got some juice boxes?"

"You know, just some yogurts and carrot sticks," she said.

"How about my kind of juice box?" JJ asked as he reached his hand out to help her too.

"Yeah," she chirped. She distributed the beers to them and they took off. The marsh was quiet that day, most likely because everyone was avoiding it after the storm. That just gave them more room to do whatever the hell they wanted.

"Let me show you a party trick," JJ said as he stood up. "Hey, Pope. Can you go a little faster please?"

"Oh God," John B said. "Here we go. I'm moving."