forty-nine | still had a chance

NO ONE EXPECTED the island room to look the way it did

NO ONE EXPECTED the island room to look the way it did. The walls were ripped to shreds as the wallpaper hung to reveal another painting underneath. It was both beautiful and slightly eery to see.

"Whoa," Pope said as he took in the sight of the room. "You've got to be kidding me."

"Yeah. I know, right? It's the island room," Sarah said. "It's been here this whole time."

"This definitely means something," JJ commented.

"I thought it meant nothing," Carson replied sarcastically. He shoved his shoulder into hers so that she hit the wall with a light thud. "I guess I deserved that."

"Yo, this is a map of the whole island," John B realized.

"Yeah, John B, I think you're right because this is Rixon's right here," JJ said as he pointed to one of the murals on the wall. "And then there's the lighthouse."

"Guys, look, Parcel 9 and the well," Kiara said. Carson ran her fingers gently over the old paintings in amazement that it had been here all along.

"So, if that's Parcel 9, and then if that's Rixon's, then that's gotta be the surf break at Mase," John B said.

"Right, and look," JJ said as he held up a piece of paper next to the wall. "Pope, come here. This is Denmark's handwriting for sure."

"The drawings, they match up," Pope said. "Denmark, you genius!"

"I see where you get it from now, Pope," Carson said with a smile.

"These are all his drawings. He painted this entire room," Pope stated.

"Yeah, question is why. What's he trying to tell us?" Kiara asked.

"It's gotta have something to do with the key, right?" JJ said.

"Yeah, but what?"

"How did you know to uncover this?" John B then asked Sarah.

"I didn't," she said. "It was like this when I got home." Carson raised her eyebrows at the revelation.

"So then, who did?" Carson asked.

"I don't know."

"The freaks." Everyone jumped at the sudden voice of Wheezie entering the room, not having heard her join them.

"Wheeze!" Sarah said.

"What freaks are we talking about, Wheeze?" JJ asked.

"Uh, that sick lady and her attack dog," Wheezie answered. "They showed up last night, and they wanted to talk to Rafe."

"Of course they wanted to talk to Rafe," Carson grumbled. "As if Rafe hasn't caused enough problems for us already." The last conversation she had had with him was about him getting help, but she was not surprised that he was once again at the root of their problems.