𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐅𝐈𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝟐𝟎𝟐

BEING CO-CHIEF WITH EMILY FOR THE BAU WAS STILL NEW TERRITORY FOR US

BEING CO-CHIEF WITH EMILY FOR THE BAU WAS STILL NEW TERRITORY FOR US. And now, with Scratch looming over us, it's been a weird transition, to say the least.

I think Rosie is getting annoyed with us being so...overprotective, but with Scratch on the loose with every urge to attack, we've been even more hyper-vigilant. We change the alarm code to our apartment every week and it's never written down so he can't get it. We saw the pressure Scratch put on Hotch as the unit chief. We're not taking any chances now that we're in this position.

I see what Hotch meant when he said he never left the BAU. I always thought that was a choice. And it is, partly. But, I hate going to sleep knowing I have a shit ton of work the next morning. Emily and I take turns on staying at the office later. One of us always tries to be home by 10 at the latest. Sometimes, it doesn't work out like that.

Tonight was one of those instances. I peered over to her desk to see her biting her nails. She does that when she's stressed.

I stood up from my desk and walked over to hers. "Why don't you take a break?" I suggested.

She looked up from the file she was in and sighed. "No, I'm fine." She said as convincingly as she could.

"Emily, you've been in that same file for over an hour." I deadpanned.

She took a deep breath and looked at me. "I just can't focus. The only thing I can think of is Scratch. I don't want him to have that power over me. But, it's just...consuming." She went on.

I feel that one deeply. I nodded. "That rat-faced asshole is the only image in my mind. His beady eyes and buck teeth. Every single time the team has gotten within sniffing distance of him, he takes off, never to be seen until he sets up his next trap. I'm tired of it, too."

She sighed and wrapped her arms around my waist. I was still standing so she rested her head on my stomach. I rubbed her head lovingly. We stood there like that for a little while.

I looked to my watch to see it was 11. "Come on. Why don't we head out for the night? We have that class tomorrow with Rossi." I let out. She groaned and got her stuff.

We headed home to see Rosie already asleep. We followed suit and just waited to be disturbed by the sounds of our alarms.

The other day we welcomed a new member to the team. Emily and I met him on a case at Interpol. Stephen Walker. We're happy with this choice.

Rossi was too. He's worked with Stephen before. Said he was one of the most naturally gifted profilers he's ever seen. We needed this. Especially now.

Today is Rossi's birthday. Usually, he'd visit Tommy Yates today, but he just happens to be one of the escaped convicts. It's a touchy subject today.