Prologue

Heatherfur raced through the underbrush. She could smell rabbit right in front of her. She was faster than it, she could catch it easily. As she pounced on it, she smelled something other than the rabbit's delicious scent. She could smell ShadowClan, fresh and strong. Recent. She was sure she was still in SnowClan territory. They only had a small stretch of forest, but yes. There was the Icerock. The rock formation that marked the end of SnowClan's forest. ShadowClan had been on their territory. Heatherfur abandoned the rabbit and raced back to the foot of the mountain. It was dreadfully cold, despite being green-leaf. Heatherfur gritted her teeth and darted up the mountain. Soon she was surrounded by snow, very close to the camp. A few more yards... yes! She was wriggling into the cave entrance. 

The camp was quiet. Everyone was in their dens, huddling together. Heatherfur went straight to the leader's den. Ashstar was sleeping peacefully. Heatherfur cleared her throat. Ashstar opened her eyes, staring at Heatherfur with a piercing gaze.

"Yes Heatherfur? What is it?" She asked.

"ShadowClan on our territory. Recent."

"Then our greatest fear is confirmed. SnowClan must prepare for battle."