Chapter 10

Commotion. Chaos. These were the words to describe the clan right now. Whitepaw pinned her ears, trying to block out the noise. A crowd of cats was forming around Freezefur and Smokepaw. Whitepaw hadn't realised truly how big SnowClan was. 

"What happened?!" She heard Darkflower, Smokepaw's mother and a former queen, meow to her daughter. Tears were pouring down Smokepaw's face. 

"I don't know! We were doing battle training when a cat just leaped out of the bushes, attacked Freezefur, then jumped away again! It was all so fast I don't even know which clan the cat was from!" She whimpered.

"Why didn't you sniff the air and find out?" Greyfoot growled. Smokepaw went silent.

"I wanted to get her back to camp as soon as possible!" She meowed eventually. Whitepaw walked over to Smokepaw, pushing through the crowd of cats. 

"Stop picking on her!" She hissed. "Shouldn't you all be worrying about Freezefur?!" 

As if just realising she was there, all the cats turned to the limp body on the ground. Whitepaw dragged Smokepaw out of the crowd. 

"Thanks," Smokepaw panted. Whitepaw nudged her flank. 

"It's all right. So what happened?" 

"I told you already. I didn't know what happened!"

Whitepaw considered this, then led her friend to their den. Luckily, it was deserted. 

"We both know that's not true. Spill."

Smokepaw sighed. "Ok, I'll tell you. But you have to promise not to tell anyone else."

Whitepaw nodded, sitting down.

"We were training, like I said. I heard something in the bushes, and went to investigate. When I got back... Freezefur was gone. I called her name, and then someone leaped onto my back and pinned me down. It was Freezefur. She shushed me, but it was too late. I had already screamed, and then three cats came out of the bushes. They were ShadowClan cats. They all attacked us at once, and Freezefur got knocked out. One of them had already run off, and the others were draggging Freezefur away, so I attacked them. I sent one away, but the other... I killed." 

Whitepaw stared at her. "You killed a cat?!"

"I didnt mean to!" Smokepaw wailed. "I jumped on them and dug my claws in too hard... and they were gone! I swear by StarClan, I didn't mean to!" 

"Cats don't kill unless absolutely necessary. This is serious, Smokepaw. We have to tell Ashstar." Whitepaw meowed firmly. Smokepaw hung her head and nodded. The two cats padded over to the SnowRock, where Ashstar was speaking to an elder. Whitepaw led Smokepaw over to the leader. 

"Ashstar, we need to talk to you."

Ashstar nodded to the elder and lead the two apprentices into her den. Whitepaw nudged Smokepaw encouragingly. Smokepaw took a deep breath and told the leader everything she had told Whitepaw. Ashstar's face changed into a mix of deep thought and anger. The two apprentices held their breath as they waited for her answer. Silence was so much more terrifying than being yelled at. Eventually, Ashstar opened her mouth to speak, but just then there was a wail from outside the den.