Chapter 15

Whitepaw's heart ached and her eyes watered as she saw the helpless cat lying there, their breathing scattered and shaky. 

"Oh..." was all she could think to say. She walked over and slowly lay beside the cat, her nose pressed against their flank. She had known that she could very possibly lose someone in the next moon, but she was always worrying about Smokepaw. She never expected to see this cat here. She knew they were sick, but... she never expected to see Opalclaw, her fearless mentor, lying on his deathbed right before her eyes. It was clear he wasn't going to make it. Frostleaf had tried everything, and nothing helped. Opalclaw was dying, and there was nothing anyone could do about it. 

"Whitepaw?" He croaked, his eyes fluttering open. Whitepaw sat up, tears rolling down her face.

"I'm here Opalclaw. I'm here, don't worry," she sniffled, smiling weakly at him. He stared up at her, coughing a bit before speaking.

"I'm sorry I doubted you. I - I didn't trust you. I'm sorry for that."

"Its ok," she whispered. It took every ounce of will she had not to turn away. She had to stay with him, right up to the point when he left her. 

"Listen to me. You must never go back to that place. It is too dangerous, you hear me?" Opalclaw meowed in his strained voice. Whitepaw was vaguely aware of Frostleaf leaving them alone to talk, sensing this was not for her ears. The apprentice nodded at her mentor, her tears uncontrollable by this point. "Promise me!" Opalclaw said fiercely. Whitepaw nodded, surprised by his passion. 

"I promise," she said. Opalclaw sighed, as if a great weight had been lifted from his shoulders. His eyes fluttered closed as he took a final breath and StarClan claimed his soul. 

"Opalclaw! No!" Whitepaw yowled, burying her muzzle in his fur. "Opalclaw! Please, don't leave me!" 

Frostleaf came rushing in, her eyes at first questioning and then sorrowful as she checked Opalclaw's breathing. But they both knew there was none left to check. 

"I'm so sorry," Frostleaf whispered. Whitepaw barely heard her. 

***

"It pains me to tell you all this, but Greencough has claimed one of our cats," Ashstar began, the sadness clear in her voice. "Opalclaw was a great warrior, and StarClan will honour his courage and strength. Those who were close to him shall bury him tonight at moonhigh. That includes his mother Tawnypelt, his father Gorsefoot and his apprentice Whitepaw. The rest of you may pay your respects before that, and then try to get some sleep. The next Gathering is tomorrow night, and we have to tell the other clans about the Greencough. And find out which clan is responsible for guving it to us," she finished with a growl. Whitepaw couldn't believe it had been a moon already. Whilst the clan took turns sharing tongues with Opalclaw fo the last time, Whitepaw padded over to the apprentice den. She needed to sleep. Maybe, if she was lucky, she would wake up and discover it was all a nightmare.