Chapter 14

Some of the cats with Greencough were recovering, but most weren't. To Whitepaw's relief, her mother Nightfoot was better and so was her sister Icekit. Whitepaw was constantly thinking about Icekit, and how she was over six moons old by now. Finally, she decided to talk to Ashstar about it. 

"Enter," Ashstar's voice came from her den. Whitepaw stepped inside, nodding respectfully at the leader. 

"Ashstar, my sister Icekit reached the apprentice age a quarter-moon ago. I think it's time she became one," Whitepaw said, her voice wavering a little as she met Ashstar's firm gaze. Ashstar nodded slowly, thinking it over. 

"Alright. Who should mentor her?" Ashstar asked. Whitepaw was surprised.

"You're asking me?" She said, barely concealing her astonishment. Ashstar smiled a little. 

"I am. You know Icekit, who would be an appropriate mentor for her?"

Whitepaw had actually thought about that already, but she hadn't expected her input to be considered. "Streamleaf," she said without a hint of doubt in her voice. "She's kind but firm, and her strength will be a good influence on my sister."

Ashstar nodded in agreement and padded out of the den. Whitepaw followed, excitement bubbling inside her. 

"Streamleaf! Come here please!" Ashstar meowed. The pretty tortoishell trotted over to the leader, her expression distracted but alert. 

"Icekit has reached six moons, and Whitepaw suggested you to be her mentor," Ashstar said. Streamleaf smiled at Whitepaw, excitement and gratitude showing in her eyes. 

"It would be my pleasure, Ashstar. When will the meeting be held?" She asked. Ashstar smiled. 

"Now, I suppose. I've left it too late already."

***

"Icekit, do you promise to do your best to learn the warrior code and honour our ancestors in StarClan?" Ashstar asked.

"I do!" Icekit meowed, shivering with excitement. 

"Then, it gives me great pleasure to bestow upon you your apprentice name. From here on, Icekit shall be known as Icepaw, and her mentor shall be Streamleaf."

Streamleaf stepped forward and touched noses with her new apprentice. Whitepaw glowed with pride, as did Nightfoot beside her. The clan chanted Icepaw's name, and rushed forward to congratulate her. Through the crowd, Whitepaw locked eyes with Frostleaf, the medicine cat. Frostleaf looked upset as she motioned for Whitepaw to follow her. A feeling of dread crawled through the apprentice as she imagined Smokepaw dying, Snowpaw dying, anyone else getting sick, anyone else dying... she shoved the thoughts away as she followed Frostleaf into the medicine den, which was crowded with sick cats and spare nests that had been shoved together to make space. Frostleaf led her into a separate cave that only held a few cats. The very sick ones, Whitepaw guessed. She did a quick sweep of the room. Smokepaw wasn't there, nor was Snowpaw. A feeling of relief washed through her, but it was short lived as she realised Frostleag was crouched over someone else, desperately trying to calm their heaving breaths. 

Whitepaw stepped forward slowly, tears coming to her eyes as she realised who was lying there. Who was lying there, slowly dying. Slowly leaving Whitepaw forever.