Chapter 4

"Whitepaw! So glad you could join us," Ashstar said. Whitepaw flicked her tail in acknowledgment, staring around at the Leader's Den. She settled down next to Smokepaw, giving Ashstar her full attention. "As new apprentices, there is a task you must complete before being fully accepted into the ranks. Can either of you think of what this task could be? I'll give you a hint; it's in my call to summon the Clan," she said. The leader surveyed them with her piercing blue eyes. Whitepaw felt that feeling of being small again; small and insignificant next to the power of the leader. 

"I know!" Smokepaw said excitedly. "You're call is, 'Let all cats old enough to reach the top of the mountain gather below the SnowRock for a clan meeting', so we have to reach the top of the mountain!" 

Ashstar smiled at her. "Yes, that is correct. You must reach the top of our mountain by sunhigh, and return by moonhigh. The day is still young, go!" 

Whitepaw scampered out of the Den, running as fast as the wind. She bolted out of the camp entrance and out into the cold morning air. She scanned the top of the mountain. It was shrouded in fog. She braced herself against the cold and began her long journey up the slope. By the time she reached halfway, the sun was shining and snow was blowing in her face. There was no sign of Smokepaw, but then again, she could barely see through the swirling flakes. Whitepaw squinted up at the sun. It would soon be sunhigh. She had to hurry. StarClan help me now, she thought as she continued to run up the mountain. She was almost there when a body slammed into her, knocking her off course and sending her tumbling through the snow. Whitepaw sat up, spitting with rage. The cat that had crashed into her shook her head. From what Whitepaw could see, she was tabby and white, with hazel eyes. Hazel eyes? That had never been seen in the Clan before. The eyes locked on Whitepaw. That gaze was so hypnotising, Whitepaw was captivated. 

"Who are you?" Whitepaw asked, straightening up. Whoever this was, she was definitely from another Clan. Enemy, enemy, Whitepaw's brain told her. 

"Who are you? Wait, actually, that's not fair. I am on your territory I guess... ok. I'm Lilypetal, ThunderClan. I've come to find your leader, Ashstar, but I have absolutely no idea where the camp is. Probably should have mentioned that when I signed up to the mission..." the cat said. Whitepaw was confused. She thought the stranger would have been hostile and attacked her and did something - anything - other than cheerfully explain and introduce herself. Whitepaw looked defiantly at Lilypetal, trying to hide her surprise and seem like she was strong and indifferent.

"Well, you are on our territory. I can take you to our camp I suppose, but I have something I need to do first. I have to get to the top of the mountain by sunhigh. I'm sorry, but—" Whitepaw trailed off as she was again captivated by those hazel brown eyes. Lilypetal tilted her head at Whitepaw.

"That's exactly what the other cat I met said, only she was more like 'Hey! Get off SnowClan territory! Hiss hiss growl growl!' I was very confused, so I left," She said.

"So you've seen Smokepaw? Where is she?" Whitepaw asked. 

"Oh, she's probably at the top by now. She was running very fast, and I met her somewhere up there," Lilypetal gestured with her tail. "You should get going. It's almost sunhigh. I'll find the camp myself I guess, that's what Spiderleg would say. He'd go 'Come on kittypet! Find it yourself and be of use for once!'"

Whitepaw had to quench a laugh. "Well, I'll see you later. I hope you find the camp," she said, and bounded up the mountain, thinking all the way about the strange cat.