Chapter 2

Whitekit screamed. Smokekit hissed. Snowkit cried out in pain. Whitekit couldn't see anything through the flying snow, but she heard the fox yelp. The sound of paws crunching in the snow, getting farther and farther away. 

"Whitekit? Whitekit! Open your eyes, Whitekit," Smokekit whispered. Whitekit's eyes fluttered open, and they took in the scene. The snow had been stained red in places, but mostly where Snowkit lay. She was in the snow a few meters away, unconscious. Whitekit couldn't tell where the blood was coming from. Smokekit was badly scratched up, but still defiant as always. There was no flicker of fear in her eyes as she helped Whitekit get up and lift Snowkit onto their backs. She must have been fuelled by some powerful determination, because she didn't falter under Snowkit's weight even once. When they reached the camp, Whitekit stopped them.

"What are we going to tell the Clan when we go in scraped up, smelling of fox and dragging a wounded kit with us? We'll never be allowed to become warriors now, not ever!" She asked, her eyes wide. Smokekit grimaced. 

"We'll just have to take our chances," she answered solemnly. 

                                                                                                ***

Frostleaf's den smelled of poppy seeds and chervil and yarrow and a whole bunch of other remedies. She fussed over Whitekit and Smokekit's scratches until they were as good as new. Then she turned her attention to Snowkit. There was a huge gash in her side, that was clotted with blood. Frostleaf worked her magic and soon Snowkit's wound was bandaged and treated. 

"She will have to stay here for the next few weeks," Frostleaf said briskly, ushering Whitekit and Smokekit out of the medicine den. Whitekit, despite being the oldest, suddenly felt very small.

"Can't we spend the night with her? She would want us to!" Smokekit whined, pawing at Frostleaf. Whitekit gave the medicine cat her best pleading eyes. Finally, Frostleaf relented.

"Fine. One night!"

But one night turned into two, and two into three, and three into four, and so on until Snowkit's wound was healed. There was an ugly scar down her side that would never go away, but Snowkit didn't mind. 

"I can tell stories about how we fought the fox!" She said excitedly. For some reason, the battle had made the tiny kit even more excited about going out of camp. Luckily, they didn't have to worry about sneaking out again, because the very next day there was a Naming.