Chapter 17

"Fernkit, do you promise to do your best to learn the healing ways of a medicine cat, and gain all the knowledge you can from Frostleaf?" Ashstar asked an excited Fernkit from atop the SnowRock.

"Yes, Ashstar!" Fernkit said, barely contsining her excitement.

"Then I now give you your apprentice name. From here on, you shall be known as Fernpaw. May StarClan guide you on your path as a medicine cat," the leader said, pausing as the clan chanted Fernpaw's new name. "And now, I believe that there are two apprentices that require new mentors. Smokepaw and Whitepaw, please step forward. Opalclaw and Freezefur were great warriors, and will forever be missed by the clan, but both of your training needs to resume. Fast. Your new mentors shall be Heatherfur and Vinepelt. Vinepelt, you shall mentor Smokepaw. Pass on your knowledge to this apprentice, and teach her well. Heatherfur, you shall mentor Whitepaw. Although I have been reluctant to give you an apprentice in the past, I believe you shall teach Whitepaw all you know."

Whitepaw gave Heatherfur a small smile, which was not returned. Heatherfur never smiled. 

"Congratulations to our new medicine apprentice, and StarClan be with our new mentors. Clan dismissed," Ashstar finished, leaping down from the SnowRock and padding over to Snowpaw, her own apprentice. Whitepaw watched Smokepaw head off with Vinepelt, talking to him enthusiastically on the way. She slowly turned to Heatherfur, who, being the strong and silent type, simply motioned for Whitepaw to follow her. Whitepaw sighed. She missed Opalclaw.

***

"Keep your weight on your haunches! The whole forest can hear you!" Heatherfur growled at Whitepaw. Whitepaw supressed a groan. Opalclaw had always said she was excellent at that, and now Heatherfur was pretty much starting her over at base zero. They had been out training for almost the whole day, Heatherfur claiming that 'they had a lot of work to do'. Heatherfur turned out to be even more strict that Freezefur had been. Whitepaw knew that it would pay off to have her as a mentor, but it didn't feel good to be insulted at every step. They had already practised fighting, which was the only thing Whitepaw seemed to be good at. She remembered Firestar praising her battle skills when she visited ThunderClan almost three moons ago. Whitepaw realised with a jolt that she had barely two moons left of her training and, judging by how fast the others had gone, really didn't seem like that much time. 

When Whitepaw finally arrived back at camp, it was almost nighttime. She collapsed by the fresh-kill pile, dragging a thrush off it with her claw and beginning to eat. 

"Hey!" Smokepaw chirped, plopping down beside her. "Great day, right?"

Whitepaw was glad Smokepaw was enjoying her apprenticeship to Vinepelt, but she couldn't stop the sarcastic comment from escaping her mouth. "Oh, yeah, fantastic."

Smokepaw frowned a little, but didn't say anything. Suddenly, Snowpaw came rushing over to them.

"Guys! Ashstar has Greencough!"