Chapter 18

It had been a well known fact in the clan that Ashstar had been on her last life ever since before Whitepaw and Icepaw had been born. So, naturally, everyone was FREAKING OUT. The 'what-ifs' were endless. Even most of the elders had been born into Ashstar's leadership. She was one of the oldest cats in the clan. Not having her as leader would just feel... wrong. Whitepaw took a few deep breaths. Surely Ashstar wouldn't die. The thought that Ashstar could die was daunting, and one she'd never had before. She'd always just assumed Ashstar would be leader forever.

Instead of heading to the medicine den to see the leader, Whitepaw padded over to where Lovelypetal was playing with Palekit. Whitepaw had debated about warning the queen about Palekit's strange behavior, and she had decided to tell her. But seeing the two now, playing so happily, Whitepaw couldn't bring herself to. She went over and sat down beside them, tracing a shape in the sand. Palekit stopped to watch, her eyes following the curving movements of Whitepaw's claw. She looked completely normal. Her eyes were a pretty green, and her thick, fluffy fur was a pale beige colour. Lovelypetal smiled at her kit, and nodded gratefully at Whitepaw. Whitepaw gave a small flick of her ear in return. 

"Palekit!" Snowpaw's voice rang out, running over. She licked her younger sister between the ears. "Are you proud of Fernpaw?"

Palekit nodded enthusiastically. "She gonna  learn to make the herbs, and no one ever be sicky and yuck ever again!"

Whitepaw laughed. "That's not completely true, but she will help people recover."

Palekit made a face and bounded off, probably to find Fernpaw and confirm this. Snowpaw's face fell as her sister left, and Whitepaw flicked her tail at her friend.

"Hey. It's ok. She loves you."

"I know. I just... wish I could spend more time with them."

Whitepaw sighed. She knew she had to tell Snowpaw about Palekit's strange... outbursts. But what she didn't know was how she was going to tell her best friend that her youngest sister wasn't one hundred percent perfect.