Chapter 7

There was commotion all around the camp. Fur flew and yowls pierced the air as ThunderClan battled the ShadowClan warriors. Whitepaw had to close her eyes to keep away the flashes of the fight with the fox when she was but a kit. A mere moon and a half ago. It seemed like forever. Suddenly, a heavy weight slammed into her body, knocking her to the ground. Whitepaw groaned. The second time today! But this time, it wasn't friendly Lilypetal. This was a large ShadowClan apprentice, at least half a fox length taller than her. She could tell they were very strong. She stood up, panting. She hadn't had any battle training yet! How was she meant to fight off a cat like this? The apprentice pounced at Whitepaw again, but she ducked away, rolling behind the cat and leaping onto his back. The tom shook himself, trying to get the younger cat off his back but she held tight. Eventually, he did a strange move. He rolled onto his back, crushing Whitepaw beneath. She gasped, and let go of his fur. He scrambled off her, turning to face her about two fox lengths away. Whitepaw struggled to her feet, just in time to dodge his next attack. His claws scraped thin air, and he crashed back onto the ground. Whitepaw rolled under him, scratching his soft underbelly in the process. He yowled and backed away. A quick swipe to the nose sent him yowling out of the camp.

Whitepaw looked around, chest heaving. Scraps of fur littered the ground, and ThunderClan cats limped around. But there were no ShadowClan cats in sight. Firestar came up to her, a deep gash in his shoulder. Whitepaw was reminded again of the battle with the fox, and Snowkit lying in that pool of blood. She shuddered.

"Are you ok?" Firestar asked. Whitepaw nodded.

"Just shaken," she replied. "You're hurt!"

"Oh, it's nothing," he meowed. "I saw you fight off that apprentice. You must have a great mentor."

Whitepaw blushed. "Actually, I haven't had any battle training yet."

Firestar stared at her. "You are very skilled, if that is true."

"Thank you, Firestar."

"You should probably return to your camp now," he said. Whitepaw flicked her ear in silent agreement, feeling to exhausted to speak. Lilypetal padded over. She didn't look badly injured, Whitepaw noted. Not like Firestar, or some of the others. Lilypetal led Whitepaw out of the camp, weaving through the trees. After what felt like moons, they reached the foot of the mountains where SnowClan's cave sat, high up in the snow. Whitepaw thanked Lilypetal, and started up the slope. Soon, she reached the point where the ground turned white and she blended in perfectly. Usually, she blended in perfectly. Today, she was so dusty from the battle that she looked grey. She sighed in relief as the familiar cold refreshed her and calmed her. The battle was over, and she could return home.

But somewhere, deep inside her, Whitepaw knew that there were far more battles to come.