Chapter 23

Whitepaw knew Snowpaw was trying desperately trying not to attack the cats, knowing it would lead to Palekit's death. Whitepaw was frantically trying to come up with a solution to this where nobody she cared about got hurt. As her eyes darted around for an escape route, they spotted a small shape crouched in the bushes. She sniffed the air quickly, smelling only a very strong plant. This cat had masked their scent. Whitepaw saw the cat flah her a reassuring smile, and in that moment the white apprentice knew who this was. She nudged Snowpaw, gesturing to the cat. Snowpaw's eyes widened for a second, then flicked her tailt o tell Whitepaw she understood. They had to stall the ShadowClan cats.

"You know, it really surprised me how easy it was to steal this one," Crowfeather continued. "She was playing by herselfin a corner. We were in and out in less than a minute."

"What do you want?" Snowpaw asked. She managed to pull off the act that she was still driven by rage. She probably was.

"In exchange for this kit? Simple. We want full rights to SnowClan's territory."

Whitepaw took a sharp intake of breath. That was asking a lot. Luckily they didn't have to respond, because at that moment their secret backup lunged out of the bushes, snatching Palekit from the jaws of the ShadowClan that had been holding her. Crowfeather yowled in fury, darting towards the cat. Whitepa wtook that as her cue to leap onto Crowfeather's back, digging her claws in and holding on tight. Crowfeather hissed, spinning around to try and shake her off. Whitepaw was vaguely aware of Snowpaw tackling the other cat. Wait, where was the third?

Whitepaw's eyes widened as she realised the third ShadowClan cat was creeping up on her ally who had Palekit.

"Smokepaw! Look out!"

Smokepaw whipped around just in time to dodge the ShadowClan cat's attack, quickly beginning to climb a tree. Her attacker (who Whitepaw guessed was Darkpool juding by his pitch black pelt) hissed in frustration and started to follow. Whitepaw dug her claws into Crowfeather's back harder, causing him to yowl in pain. He threw her off, her side crashing into the ground. Fuelled by adrenaline, she was up in a second, diving for him. The ShadowClan deputy braced for her to attack his back again, but Whitepaw twisted last second and rolled under him, scatching his soft underbelly. Crowfeather let out a cry and darted over her, glaring menacingly. Whitepaw was aware of Snowpaw lashing out at Mudstone, her claws dragging across his face. Whitepaw dodged Crowfeather's speed attack, twisting to claw his shoulder. He let out a hiss as his blood dripped onto the ground. Whitepaw heard Smokepaw cry out triumphantly, and saw Darkpool fall out of the tree. He hid the ground with a thud, scrambling back up and racing away into the trees, closely followed by Mudstone.

"Cowards," Crpwfeather hissed. Snowpaw and Whitepaw advanced on him, Whitepaw flicking her tail ina motion for Smokepaw to run back to camp with Palekit. She was grateful to here the sounds of her friend's paws fading away as she did so.

"You're outnumbered, Crowfeather," Whitepaw said. "You can't win this fight."

Crowfeather let out a malicous laugh. "Next time, young ones. Next time, we won't lose. But I'll admit, you put up a good fight. We'll see eachother again soon, that I promise you."

With that, he raced off into the trees in the same direction his followers had taken. Whitepaw believed that he spoke the truth. Crowfeather wasn't finished yet.

***

Snowpaw and Whitepaw arrived back at SnowClan shortly after moonhigh. They crept into the camp, expecting it to be fairly silent. What they were met with instead was what looked like the whole Clan waiting for them.

"Whitepaw! Snowpaw!" Smokepaw cried, rushing over to greet her friends. Thye exchanged licks and nuzzles beflre turning back to face the rest of their Clan.

"Whitepaw. Snowpaw. Gald to see you have returned," Ashstar said warmly. "Now if you are ready, we would like to begin this meeting."