Chapter 12

Whitepaw paced in front of the Warrior den, thinking about what she would say to her mentor when he awoke. He finally did, and she was completely unprepared. 

"Opalclaw!" She meowed in a tight, funny voice. She grinded her teeth, cursing her stupid nerves. He gave her and odd look.

"Whitepaw!" He said uncertainly, mimicing her tone. Whitepaw laughed despite herself. Opalclaw was nothing like Freezefur. Or at least, what Freezefur was. Whitepaw looked around, making sure no-one was listening.

"I need you to take me back to StarClan's Chamber," she whispered. Opalclaw sighed.

"I knew you were going to say that at some point, and I've thought long and hard about it. And my answer is no."

Whitepaw stared at him. She hadn't expected this... disppointing turn of events. She had been thinking more about how she was going to be able to pick one of the crystals up, not what his response would be. Opalclaw had said 'if you are Clan leader', which implied only a leader could use the gems. But now none of that mattered, becuase he wasn't taking her anyway.

"Why?" She asked in a more snappish tone that she intended.

"I should never have taken you there in the first place!"

"You said 'StarClan wished it'! I think you made the right choice!"

"But I don't... it wasn't... it doesn't matter! You aren't going again, you hear me?! That place is dangerous!"

Opalclaw stalked off, muttering to himself. Whitepaw was frozen in bewilderment. Dangerous? How could a place so beautiful and... and... blessed be dangerous? And now she could never help Smokepaw, not without StarClan's guidance. Not without sneaking away to do it herself. And if Opalclaw had been edgy before, he was now in full on protect-the-secret-cavern-from-Whitepaw mode. She couldn't go anywhere without him, even hunting or to make her dirt! The next moon was so Opalclaw-filled that Whitepaw never even got a moment alone to try to comfort Snowpaw. Meanwhile, Smokepaw slipped further and further into her sea of grief, so far in that Whitepaw feared she would never resurface. She had to get to that cavern, but how?