Chapter 19

A small fire had started in WindClan's territory, and the party that attended the Gathering on their behalf was small. Whitepaw weaved through the crowds of cats, eventually making her way over to a pair of TreeClan cats.

"Hi," Whitepaw said to them, sitting down. One, who looked like a very old warrior, glared her. 

"Hi!" Another young cat chirped. She couldn't have been very far from Whitepaw's age. She had a beautiful pelt that seemed to shine and bright eyes. 

"I'm Whitepaw," Whitepaw said, smiling. 

"Oh! I'm Willowpaw!" The apprentice replied.

"Crazy stuff about WindClan, right? What kind of a fire starts in Leaf-fall?" Whitepaw said, shaking her head. "Maybe it was lightning or something. I sure hope nobody was killed."

"Judging by how small their group is, I'd say they're at least badly injured or weakened," Willowpaw said worriedly. Before Whitepaw could reply, a sharp yowl signaled the beginning of the Gathering. 

"Welcome cats of all Clans, to the Gathering!" Ashstar began. "As most of you know, WindClan has suffered a fire in their land-"

"We can speak for ourselves!" The WindClan leader Slimstar growled. "Although this fire injured many of our cats, WindClan remains strong!"

Whitepaw noticed a flicker in the leader's eyes, as if he himself was unsure of this.

"But," Slimstar started again. "We do request that you all give us some time to recover."

"Of course Slimstar," Ashstar said, taking the lead again. "I think I speak for all the Clans when I say that we bear no threat to WindClan, nor do we doubt your strength."

Whitepaw was impressed at how smoothly Ashstar had resolved that, and how calm she was about Slimstar's interruption.

"Oh really?" Darkstar growled from behind the other leaders. He always seemed to have a way of lurking in the shadows. "Well, ShadowClan does not agree to that. If WindClan is so strong, why should we hold back? Why should we prolong this fight even longer?" 

Every cat tilted their head, wondering what fight he meant.

"WindClan has been stealing our prey!" Darkstar declared. There were several hisses from the WindClan group. 

"Liar!" One called. Whitepaw saw the ShadowClan cats looking uncomfortable and worried. She wondered how much truth was in Darkstar's accusation. She heard the sharp sound of claws unsheathing, as if the night of truce meant nothing to the gathered cats. 

"I know nothing of this!" Slimstar growled.

"So you claim!" Darkstar retorted. 

"Everyone calm down!" Ashstar yowled. Every cat turned to her in silent astonishment. Usually, Ashstar was the calm, reasonable one. "We have heard enough! This is the night of truce! Settle this another day. Now, we must hear the news form the other leaders. RiverClan?"

"Prey has been flowing well through the river. Our cats are well fed, despite the cold season. StarClan has been kind to us," Rushstar announced. Ashstar nodded at Firestar.

"ThunderClan is not doing so well. Prey in the forest has been scarce, and some of our cats are getting weak. But, compared to what Leaf-bare will bring, this is not too bad. Most of our warriors remain healthy, and I bring news of two new kits!"

The gathered cats purred with happiness. New kits were always a good omen.

Firestar stepped back, giving the spotlight to TreeClan's leader Oakstar. 

"TreeClan has been well." Oakstar declared. "Prey has been good in the treetops, and we have a few new warriors!"

"And finally, SnowClan," Ashstar meowed. "We have been a little low on prey, but it seems like this is a kind Leaf-fall. We have had a new kit named Coldkit. Fernpaw is now the medicine cat apprentice, may StarClan light her path. On a less happy note, we have lost several cats to Greencough. I myself had it, but thanks to Frostleaf's skill I am now much better. However, Opalclaw, Freezefur and Hopepaw all lost their lives to the illness. We hope that they now hunt in StarClan peacefully."

Most of the cats at FourTrees bowed their heads in sorrow, which Whitepaw was immensely thankful for. Opalclaw and the others deserved to be acknowledged not just by SnowClan, but by every cat under StarClan's light. Once the leaders had said their bit, the rest of the cats continued to mingle. Whitepaw's conversation with Willowpaw continued. Willowpaw was easy to get along with, and things became much more relaxed after the older cat left. They talked about all sorts of things, and when Whitepaw eventually returned to camp she felt calm and happy. 

She was just on her way to her den as Snowpaw came sprinted up to her.

"Whitepaw! You have to help me! Palekit is missing!"